Crossing The Potomac (Graphic Intensive)

Taylor

Dec 24, 2005
I recently purchased a new camera and went to a place just off of the runways for Reagan National Airport to try my hand at some of the features on the camera. Right down from National (I believe not too far from 14th street bridge) is a freight line. While snapping photos, I heard the horn in the distance and tried to make my way up to the tracks. Anyhow, these shots are from a distance. The line runs frequently so hopefully next time I'll have the time to standby near them and catching something up close:

gravelly+097_001.jpg

gravelly+099.jpg

gravelly+098.jpg

Now here is where I get to test some of my newly learned skills with the camera (while these are not of the line specifically, it makes a great backdrop)

gravely+140.jpg

gravely+139.jpg

gravely+138.jpg

gravely+122.jpg

gravely+112.jpg

gravely+100.jpg

Tommybza

Feb 15, 2007
N W Indiana
Good shots Taylor,
just a Idea on your pictures with the trees in them. see if you can focus on the bridge then move the camera over to get the trees into the field ov view that works nice,
also see if the camera has a setting for A-DEP this keeps all things in focus as far as the eye can see so when shooting a train in the distance a bush or tree some thing that will not move close to you they should come into focus .like the human eye keeps in focus or should or did at one time ..did you get all that ?

myltlpny

Feb 18, 2007
Gloucester, VA
www.homesiteinc.com
Nice shots, Taylor.
I'm a bit of an armature photographer, myself. I particularly like the shot of the trestle (second to last). Nicely framed.
If you ever get a chance to travel down Rte 301, there's a power plant at the end of the Potomac where they still use an old RS-1 to shuffle coal around at the plant. It's interesting to see modern CSX locos (some in Conrail livery) next to an old loco like the RS-1.
The bridge over the Potomac is called the "Nice Bridge". It's very steep and has a sign at the bottom alerting drivers that it's a two way bridge. Two ways - you bet. Straight up and straight down.:mrgreen: