Crossing signal

DinoB

Hi,
I have built an operating version of a crossing signal. It is about7 feet tall overall. Does anyone have an idea what I can use for a bell? Or where I can buy a low voltage or electronic bell?

siderod

Only 7 Feet?

Wow...thats short. Are the cross-bucks to-scale? and the lights? A real bell would be FAR too big, so i would suggest a Fire-alarm or something like that...though that might be too big as well. I'm debating, if i can find all the stuff, working and to-scale crossbucks with all the lights and such. Look for my upcomming thread on Boston 2004 for my inspiration

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Hey Dino,
Welcome aboard! Are you asking about the bell sound or the bell itself? For sound, how about a continuous loop tape recording of a bell that could be activated by a switch? I recorded a bell sound like this off of Microsoft Trains Simulator to use for the facsimilie control stand I use to run my layout. I have the continuous loop tape in a cheap walkman with an insulated copper disk between the batteries, interupting the current. When I move a switch it opens this circuit, letting the walkman play through small speakers, simulating a locomotive bell.
Ralph

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Wow!! Wish you luck!! I havn't found one yet :(

Here's mine...

cb1.jpg

Here's the 2 meg video of it working :)

Video

DinoB

I need an electric bell. As far as the interupted ring, I know how to do that. I want to simulate the real sound. I have the flashing part done. I have a 6volt door bell which works, but i would like something a little better. I will try to post a picture. It looks almost exactly like the full scale. It is for a display we are having in the local museum over Xmas. I have it operated by a motion detector so it only flash's for a pre programed time when someone comes near.

N Gauger

DinoB said:
I hate to apear stupid, but I am not sure how to post a picture

Dont worry about that - we all are really good at "appearing stupid" :D :D :D

you should click on "Go Advanced" below the reply block at the bottom of the page.

Here's the format you would use IF the picture is somewhere on the internet:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/thegauge/cb1.jpg[/ IMG]
Take out the "space before "img" at the end & you would get "My Pic " from my last post :)

If you want to upload a pic from your computer it HAS to be smaller than 70,000 K and smaller than 600 X 460

Click "Manage Attachments" below the Advanced Reply Screen & you will be able to upload most any pic from your computer. :D

Ray Marinaccio

A possibility would be to take one of your wife's metal mixing bowls and cut the sides down, drill a hole in the center to mount it, then use the electric bell mechanism to make it ring.

N Gauger

Ray Marinaccio said:
A possibility would be to take one of your wife's metal mixing bowls and cut the sides down, drill a hole in the center to mount it, then use the electric bell mechanism to make it ring.

Ray???? Is this why you are always in "The Dog House" :eek: :eek: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :eek: :eek:

Great idea though!!!!!! :wave: :D :wave: :D :wave:

DinoB

I know this is not a computer chat line but I tried to send a picture of my crossing signal and it said file is to large. Don't have the foggiest how to reduce it. It was taken with a sony still camera, sent to my documents (MSN) and saved as picture. upload procedure seemed to be right but to large. Any help?

DinoB

I will try to send pictures. One is the real thing, the other obviously is not

Attachments

• xing33.bmp
    17.3 KB · Views: 110
  • xing00.bmp
    50.3 KB · Views: 104