Crossing please help

kase

Apr 18, 2007
i am having a hard time geting my trains to go over atlas code 100 25 degree crossing please help me

kase

Apr 18, 2007
i lose power on it and when i give them a push its ok i think its the spacing between the wheels

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
If you're using a short wheelbase loco, you're losing power in the middle of the crossing. A longer wheelbase loco with only 1 truck picking up power will have the same problem. I had a similar problem one time and solved it by installing metal wheels on the car coupled to the loco and ran wires from the cars axles to the motor in the loco. This allowed the loco to continue getting power even in the middle of the dead area.

kase

Apr 18, 2007
ok and can u give me a good Tutorial on how to do this????????

thanks a lot

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
What kind of engine is giving problems? Is it only that one (or that type)?

If you have a multi-meter, check that all rails are getting (the right kind of) power. If the entire crossing is dead, it would be far better to correct that than to permanently couple a car to the engine for extra pickups.

Andrew

kase

Apr 18, 2007
its just the middle of the crossing that has no power can i wire it in some how

if so can u tell me

kase

Apr 18, 2007
whats that mean ?????????\

i nead help i will not continue if i can not fix this prob:curse: :curse: :curse: :curse:

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
I've never tried adding jumper or feeder wires to a crossing but I wonder if you experiemented with a length of wire by touching one end to a powered track connected to the crossing and touching the other end of the wire to locations on the crossing itself to see if any of these tests manage to get the loco to cross successfully. If so, then solder them up!
Good luck!
Ralph

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
The easiest way to get power to the rails in dead area is to run wires from the live rails to the dead rails. I've done this before. Being that the crossing was already in place and couldn't be easiely moved, I had to drill holes next to the rails and run jumpers to the dead rails. Note the illustration below.

crossing1.jpg

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
kase: what are the rails in the middle of the crossing made of? If they're plastic, you can't do much with it. If they're metal, you can check that they're powered and wire them if they aren't (as j-w shows.)
If it's plastic, you may be able to add extra pickups to the loco.

kase

Apr 18, 2007
can some 1 help me install metal wheels on the car coupled to the loco and run wires from the cars axles to the motor in the loco

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
kase said:
can some 1 help me install metal wheels on the car coupled to the loco and run wires from the cars axles to the motor in the loco
It's quite simple really. Simply fit the car with metal wheels that have metal axles. The wheels will have the axle going directly into a wheel on one end and the other end will have an insulator where the axle meets the wheel. Install the wheels for the front truck so that the non-insulated wheels are on the right side. Now, install the wheels of the rear truck so that the non-insulated wheels are on the left side. Drill two small holes in the bottom of the car, one just back of each truck on the centerline of the car. Strip the end of a thin wire (22 gauge or thinner) about 2 1/2 inches back. run the wire down through one of the holes and wrap the stripped end around around the axles of that truck. Do the same with the other truck. Now run the wires from the car (in whatever fashion you choose) to the loco (again in whatever fashion you choose. I just drill a hole to run the wires through.) Attach the wire from the front truck to the right side feed wire in the loco. Likewise with the wire from the rear truck to the left feed wire of the loco. This should take care of your problem.

kase

Apr 18, 2007
where can i get these he wheels will have the axle going directly into a wheel on one end and the other end will have an insulator where the axle meets the wheel

what do thay call them??

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
What is the locomotive that stalls on the crossing? If the locomotive is long enough to have wheels on either side of the crossing, you should be able to simply put in enough pick ups on the locomotive to pick up power on either side of the crossing, but we need to have you tell us what model is creating the problem. So far this thread has gone 2 pages and there still isn't any information from you on what locomotive is having the problem.