Crossing Fingers

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
I placed an order this morning with Hobby Circle (instead of the usual Walthers). I've heard a lot of good things about 'em and their prices were *way* better than Walthers, so we'll see how it goes. I also reserved the two new road numbers for the Hooker tank cars. I'm gonna have a Hooker facility on my layout, and I love those orange tankcars.

Also ordered another ROCK diesel, this time an Athearn SD40-2. They only had ten of 'em in RL, we'll see if the road number is right. I'm not betting on it, but that's an easy fix down the road. In the meantime, I've got two ROCK mainline loops that are almost complete, and I need more road switchers.

IMRL393

Aug 7, 2001
Visit site
Mike -

I've ordered from HobbyCircle before - got my loco ok and at a good price. My only problem with HC is that I tryed to call (and e-mail) them about a change in an order, but NEVER received any reply - nor was the order changed.

So if you are SURE that what you are ordering is what you want, HC should come thru for you.

I like the ability to TALK to someone about changes or delays - so I've usually gone with Tony's.

Sounds like your RR plan is really taking shape!

Was the Athearn SD40-2 the newer model with chickenwire grills and no DBs (Atheran part # 6313) or the older version with DBs (Athearn part # 4410) ???

I have the latter - may get the former on down the road - too many other things to get for now! Like that H15-44, and maybe the new E8 A/B, and .....

So many trains, so little money !!!

- George

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
LOL ain't that the truth.

#6313, the newer version without dynamic brakes. Sweet deal, too - $39.50US - Walthers wanted $56.50. And I never change my orders after I send them, anyways. My only concern is about those Hooker tankcars, cause who knows when Atlas will actually ship them - this is the first time I've done an advance order, but I really want those!!!!

IMRL393

Aug 7, 2001
Visit site
Mike -

You should like the newer Athearn SD40-2.

I hear that they have an improved drive that is MUCH better than the older models - please let me know what you think of it !

I've had good luck with advanced orders before, so hopefully you will not have any problems getting the Hooker cars.

What will your Hooker facility look like ???

(Being a chemist, I am professionally interested. But as I am in education, not industry, I can't help you with plant design! I am planning to model part of the Clinton DuPont facility. It is involved in plastic production, to include the wrapper on the 3M post-it notes. So I'm after DuPont cars, myself.)

- George

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
Hhhmmm....I think I saw prototype photos of an 89' Dupont car in a book I got this week. Too long for interchange, apparently, but it looked really kewl.

I'm gonna start the Hooker facility with Great West Models' Allied Chemical (I have yet to order it, mind you; see below), and then we'll see what else I need/want to add. I'm not very much into chemicals either, but apparently there's a lot of facilities in the southcentral, where I'm modeling. From the research I've done/found, this plant is gonna produce chlorine, sodium hydroxide, and hydrogen; and requires salt as an input. Should be quite the busy little place. Hopefully my research hasn't steered me toooooo wrong...... :D

( other facilities on the 7x12 layout include an ethanol plant in Tucumcari NM, and a urea/ammonia facility in Enid OK; I think there's a couple more planned for the basement layout, primarily in Wichita and Denver I think).

Attachments

• alliedchemical.gif
    alliedchemical.gif
    36.1 KB · Views: 66