Crimson Skies

JackFrost

awesome Thanks Gearz, I love the game and the Pandora, cant wait for the Devastator !!! Great Work!!! :thumb:

Gearz

Ohh... thank you gentlemen! ~ I hope you have fun building her! ~ I felt a little weird posting a model that wasn't quite...complete. I'd be interested to hear how you tackle, and what materials you use for the engine struts.?

The Devastator is going to be quite a challenge ( for me) I'd like it to be at least 'acceptable' for the Avn guys. Oh well, at least there's plenty of members I can scream HELP to..

Gearz

GaaaaaaaAAARRR! You... liittlle... @&*#%&^.....[ tantrum] = Aeroplane guys....HELP!

Being my first attempt at an aircraft Dev, I guess a few hiccups were inevitable, although I wasn't expecting one straight out of the barrier.. After lovingly texturing my Devastator model, I've discovered much of it was a waste of time ( I'll have to re-design a chunk of the 3D mesh)

Brain-strain # 1 ~ How do you get an aerofoil / wing to un-fold as a single part ? ( joined at leading edge) I've tried multiple variations ~ open ended wing tips / closed wing tips, unrealistic thickness at the wing tips ++++ ... I just can't figure out how to translate the rounded + tapered leading edge, to flat wing tips ~ so the wing un-folds as a clean 'upper and lower surfaces' etc. Is there a trick to it?, or is it a limitation of the META / PEP combination.. ( + designer).. is there a post addressing this problem/design issue anywhere.?

I'd be grateful for any tips..
wall1

Attachments

• brain-strain1.jpg
    brain-strain1.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 29

foxmalcolm

-=3D Modeler=-
Devastaor Help

Hi I am new to this forum and I think I can help with your Devastaor model.
When Crimson Skies came out several years ago I made 3D renders of the aircraft for the Flight Clan I was with.
Recently I started digging up my old files after seeing [and building] your Pandora model.
Here are some of my old [CS] models:
http://forum.zealot.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=66503&stc=1&d=1206901691
I can remake these models so they would be acceptable for card modeling, and I can send you the files.
I would like to be able to have some planes to go with my zeppelin.
So let me know what assistance I can give?

Attachments

• Fury & Devastator Render.jpg
    Fury & Devastator Render.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 120

Ziga

That's fantastic! Devastator and Fury are my favorite Crimson Skies planes. I's love to see paper models of these two.

foxmalcolm

-=3D Modeler=-
Ok, I went back and started to simplify the models and I have finished the Fury.
http://forum.zealot.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=66539&stc=1&d=1206929389
Then I hit a little snag; I am pretty ace when it comes to 3D modeling programs like 3DS Max, Bryce, Lightwave, etc but it has become painfully obvious that I need to learn how to unfold, I am using Pepakura Designer2 and it totally twists my models around.
I found some tutorials and I will spend the next few days figuring out how to use it properly. Hopefully I will have mastered it at least enough to design, print and build the first paper fury [that I know of].

But if anyone wants to give me a hand I'ld appreciate it.

Attachments

• Fury Simple.jpg
    Fury Simple.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 66

Gearz

Welcome to the forum foxmalcolm! I'd forgotten about his thread, and I'm sorry you didn't come along a few months ago :( ~ that's VERY nice work indeed! I would have loved to start developing with your mesh, however, I have a Devastator card model almost finished. Thanks for the offer on this one anyway mate, its appreciated.! With your 3D skills you'll have a head start on the un-folding. There are lots of resources here in regard to designing ( un-folding) have a good look around and I'm sure we can help you to get started.

Devastator

As long as this thread has bumped, I might as well move camp. There's a bit about the Crimson Skies Devastator in THIS thread.

The plot so far... Thanks to the way I've designed it, there are a few vital steps in the build, so I'm just making up an Assembly Guide to ensure a happy build + few tweaks etc

Oh yeah.. If any Aircraft builders are tuned in ~ Is it a usual feature on Aircraft models (commercial?) to have options for rotating spinners/props..??? or is that left entirely up to builders..? ~ Is it worth including a few extra parts (just in case) ?

Attachments

• Devastator1.jpg
    Devastator1.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 47
  • AGwork1.jpg
    AGwork1.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 373

widget

Spinable props might be fun just for the challengee,but I don't think that they really addd anything to the completed model for display purposes.
Just my $.002

Gearz

Thanks gents! Barring flood or earthquake, the Devastator should be good to go in week or so.

widget ~ your right, I might just include a few optional parts to make experimentation easier.

foxmalcolm ~ howzit going mate? are you having any luck un-folding the Fury??

foxmalcolm

-=3D Modeler=-
I have had a few problems unfolding it with PD.
The 2 most recuring problems were scale and hidden objects.
eg. I would unfold one of the wings and two exact same sized pieces would each be a different scale. And for some strange reason instead of being flat PD would "fold" a piece under itself (very frustrating).
But all in all I believe I have nailed out the last of those kinks and I am on a test run as we speak, I will let you know later on today how the completed model goes.
I found that instead of "unfolding" the model I will instead "peel" the model. This may pose a problem for those with slightly less dextrous fingers but it seems to make the model stronger without the need for support sections.
Have a look:
http://forum.zealot.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=66609&stc=1&d=1207075136
http://forum.zealot.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=66604&stc=1&d=1207073988
this shows the main body, cockpit and engine.
Also the model currently is at 1:72 scale
(10-12 cm) so its a bit on the small side.
I will texture it at a latter point though.

Attachments

• Fury-Page-1.jpg
    Fury-Page-1.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 40
  • Fury-engine.jpg
    Fury-engine.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 38

foxmalcolm

-=3D Modeler=-
Quick update on the Curtis-Wright J2 Fury

Hi guys just a quick update on the progress of the Curtis-Wright J2 Fury.
Its going great, a little tricky but puts together really well.
http://forum.zealot.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=66634&stc=1&d=1207096794
I think that the only main change I would do to it is change the scale I printed it at. The final model when complete currently fits in my hand.
I think most people might find that a bit too small.
http://forum.zealot.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=66639&stc=1&d=1207100133
So I'll release two versions, one at 1:72 the other at 1:32

Also given the large variety of pirates, security firms and militias available what do people think of having a decal sheet instead of textures?

Attachments

• Fury progress shot.jpg
    Fury progress shot.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 38
  • Fury Scale.JPG
    Fury Scale.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 35

foxmalcolm

-=3D Modeler=-
Almost Done

Well I am almost done, realised that the ends of the rear wing were too small and too complicated so I chopped them off.

Anyhow I have a progress pic for you.
http://forum.zealot.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=66661&stc=1&d=1207118100

If the black lines look shocking, thats because they are.
I slapped them on using a black marker to help enhance the fold lines, cause the first couple of pics didn't show up too well.

Just the wings to go now.

Attachments

• Fury - progress.JPG
    Fury - progress.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 33

Gearz

woohoo.. that was quick progress foxmalcolm! ~ It looks great! have you designed card models before?

Two scales will be good, the devastator builds to approx 1/ 32 L 20cm S 24cm. The decal idea is interesting, it would give builders plenty of options without multiple builds, I vote yes for that one..

Re your scale and hidden objects, hiccups.. sounds weird ? the majority of problems in PEP can be attributed to mesh malfunctions. I'm not sure I follow about the different scales for identical parts issue, can you post a pick of the PEP development, so we can see the problem.?

great work so far :thumb:

Gearz

wooo missed that last post.. That was pretty impressive effort for a first design.! :thumb::thumb:

how about a Warhawk..?