Crimson Skies

Discussion in 'Anime, Cartoons, Figurines & Paperdolls' started by Gearz, Jan 10, 2007.

1. sr5nm

sr5nm Member

I'll be printing this weekend. Thanks, Gearz
  2. JackFrost

JackFrost Member

awesome Thanks Gearz, I love the game and the Pandora, cant wait for the Devastator !!! Great Work!!! :thumb:
  3. Gearz

Gearz Member

Ohh... thank you gentlemen! ~ I hope you have fun building her! ~ I felt a little weird posting a model that wasn't quite...complete. I'd be interested to hear how you tackle, and what materials you use for the engine struts.?

The Devastator is going to be quite a challenge ( for me) I'd like it to be at least 'acceptable' for the Avn guys. Oh well, at least there's plenty of members I can scream HELP to..
  4. Gearz

Gearz Member

GaaaaaaaAAARRR! You... liittlle... @&*#%&^.....[ tantrum] = Aeroplane guys....HELP!

Being my first attempt at an aircraft Dev, I guess a few hiccups were inevitable, although I wasn't expecting one straight out of the barrier.. After lovingly texturing my Devastator model, I've discovered much of it was a waste of time ( I'll have to re-design a chunk of the 3D mesh)

Brain-strain # 1 ~ How do you get an aerofoil / wing to un-fold as a single part ? ( joined at leading edge) I've tried multiple variations ~ open ended wing tips / closed wing tips, unrealistic thickness at the wing tips ++++ ... I just can't figure out how to translate the rounded + tapered leading edge, to flat wing tips ~ so the wing un-folds as a clean 'upper and lower surfaces' etc. Is there a trick to it?, or is it a limitation of the META / PEP combination.. ( + designer).. is there a post addressing this problem/design issue anywhere.?

I'd be grateful for any tips..

Attached Files:

5. foxmalcolm

foxmalcolm -=3D Modeler=-

Devastaor Help

Hi I am new to this forum and I think I can help with your Devastaor model.
    When Crimson Skies came out several years ago I made 3D renders of the aircraft for the Flight Clan I was with.
    Recently I started digging up my old files after seeing [and building] your Pandora model.
    Here are some of my old [CS] models:
    I can remake these models so they would be acceptable for card modeling, and I can send you the files.
    I would like to be able to have some planes to go with my zeppelin.
    So let me know what assistance I can give?

Attached Files:

6. Ziga

Ziga Member

That's fantastic! Devastator and Fury are my favorite Crimson Skies planes. I's love to see paper models of these two.

ARMORMAN Guest

Go for it, Dude!
  8. foxmalcolm

Ok, I went back and started to simplify the models and I have finished the Fury.
    Then I hit a little snag; I am pretty ace when it comes to 3D modeling programs like 3DS Max, Bryce, Lightwave, etc but it has become painfully obvious that I need to learn how to unfold, I am using Pepakura Designer2 and it totally twists my models around.
    I found some tutorials and I will spend the next few days figuring out how to use it properly. Hopefully I will have mastered it at least enough to design, print and build the first paper fury [that I know of].

But if anyone wants to give me a hand I'ld appreciate it.

Attached Files:

ARMORMAN Guest

not too bad....the join/separate feature will become your best friend in PK.
  10. Gearz

Gearz Member

Welcome to the forum foxmalcolm! I'd forgotten about his thread, and I'm sorry you didn't come along a few months ago :( ~ that's VERY nice work indeed! I would have loved to start developing with your mesh, however, I have a Devastator card model almost finished. Thanks for the offer on this one anyway mate, its appreciated.! With your 3D skills you'll have a head start on the un-folding. There are lots of resources here in regard to designing ( un-folding) have a good look around and I'm sure we can help you to get started.

As long as this thread has bumped, I might as well move camp. There's a bit about the Crimson Skies Devastator in THIS thread.

The plot so far... Thanks to the way I've designed it, there are a few vital steps in the build, so I'm just making up an Assembly Guide to ensure a happy build + few tweaks etc

Oh yeah.. If any Aircraft builders are tuned in ~ Is it a usual feature on Aircraft models (commercial?) to have options for rotating spinners/props..??? or is that left entirely up to builders..? ~ Is it worth including a few extra parts (just in case) ?

Attached Files:

11. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

...I must build this!!! :D
  12. Ziga

Ziga Member

Another dream is coming true. Thanks!
  13. widget

widget Member

Spinable props might be fun just for the challengee,but I don't think that they really addd anything to the completed model for display purposes.
    Just my $.002
  14. rojo

rojo Member

Awesome work Gearz! These are going to be great builds, thanks.
  15. Gearz

Gearz Member

Thanks gents! Barring flood or earthquake, the Devastator should be good to go in week or so.

widget ~ your right, I might just include a few optional parts to make experimentation easier.

foxmalcolm ~ howzit going mate? are you having any luck un-folding the Fury??
  16. foxmalcolm

I have had a few problems unfolding it with PD.
    The 2 most recuring problems were scale and hidden objects.
    eg. I would unfold one of the wings and two exact same sized pieces would each be a different scale. And for some strange reason instead of being flat PD would "fold" a piece under itself (very frustrating).
    But all in all I believe I have nailed out the last of those kinks and I am on a test run as we speak, I will let you know later on today how the completed model goes.
    I found that instead of "unfolding" the model I will instead "peel" the model. This may pose a problem for those with slightly less dextrous fingers but it seems to make the model stronger without the need for support sections.
    Have a look:
    this shows the main body, cockpit and engine.
    Also the model currently is at 1:72 scale
    (10-12 cm) so its a bit on the small side.
    I will texture it at a latter point though.

Attached Files:

17. foxmalcolm

Quick update on the Curtis-Wright J2 Fury

Hi guys just a quick update on the progress of the Curtis-Wright J2 Fury.
    Its going great, a little tricky but puts together really well.
    I think that the only main change I would do to it is change the scale I printed it at. The final model when complete currently fits in my hand.
    I think most people might find that a bit too small.
    So I'll release two versions, one at 1:72 the other at 1:32

Also given the large variety of pirates, security firms and militias available what do people think of having a decal sheet instead of textures?

Attached Files:

18. foxmalcolm

Almost Done

Well I am almost done, realised that the ends of the rear wing were too small and too complicated so I chopped them off.

Anyhow I have a progress pic for you.

If the black lines look shocking, thats because they are.
    I slapped them on using a black marker to help enhance the fold lines, cause the first couple of pics didn't show up too well.

Just the wings to go now.

Attached Files:

19. foxmalcolm

Attached Files:

20. Gearz

Gearz Member

woohoo.. that was quick progress foxmalcolm! ~ It looks great! have you designed card models before?

Two scales will be good, the devastator builds to approx 1/ 32 L 20cm S 24cm. The decal idea is interesting, it would give builders plenty of options without multiple builds, I vote yes for that one..

Re your scale and hidden objects, hiccups.. sounds weird ? the majority of problems in PEP can be attributed to mesh malfunctions. I'm not sure I follow about the different scales for identical parts issue, can you post a pick of the PEP development, so we can see the problem.?

great work so far :thumb: