Crichton from Buck Rogers

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I don't think it is possible. When the card is cut the silver coat is ruptured and reveals the white paper core inside. If you use the paper dust method described in the thread above you will only soften the edges, so-to-speak, but not hide the seam. In addition, the glue would make the surface dull which is not desired.

As for making "silver dust", this is not possible. I don't know what this coat is made of but it seems that it consists of real metal particles. These wouldn't connect to each other in the described process.

I'm thinking of using Revell acrylics instead, Aluminium should do (silver is not very user-friendly). It should be able to mask the seam a bit. ASC used a silver pen to paint his model, I think this is another possible way. Anyway, I kept this in mind when I was designing the model. If you take a look at the plans you will notice that nearly all seams are covered by other parts, the strips and rivets, exactly like on the real prop. Everything else which remains visible was visible on the real one, so this model should be exact to the seam, if you may say so. :cool::twisted::cool:

BTW, I'm assembling the arms right now and have got an idea for the Maximilian figure from "The Black Hole" which is on my list. The nail I used on Crichton's wrist could be used as a basis for the rotating blades on Max's arm (those used for killing the Palomino crew member). If it works you'll be able to actually let the blades spin..! :rolleyes:

Rogerio Silva

That "seams" a good option!

RF

Well, I admit: when I posted my suggestion, I already had in my mind that it would not be possible, unless in a very hard, costly way. So, it wouldn't be cost-effective. I had that coming. :rolleyes:
Anyway, I wanted to know if you knew of a better, low-cost solution for the "problem", but I think your design already addressed it, so no need to worry about it.
I'm satisfied with your model and solution, but I'm so upset that I can't dedicate myself to models right now... :curse: Studying, you know? June 23rd is coming, and I've got to be prepared. :eek:
Thanks once agains for your answer!

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Don't worry, pal. It's good to see that you are around here and watching the build. :thumb:

So I take it that your finals are on June 23rd? I'm keeping my fingers crossed! I wish you the best of luck! :cool:

Rogerio Silva

Friends will be friends...

Don't worry, pal. It's good to see that you are around here and watching the build. :thumb:

So I take it that your finals are on June 23rd? I'm keeping my fingers crossed! I wish you the best of luck! :cool:

Thanks, RF. I know you and many others here want me to succeed, and that's why I CAN'T LET YOU GUYS DOWN!

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
for those that can not find silver card, you can get sheets of silver foil, the type uesd by plastic modelers, and laminate it to paper...

Rogerio Silva

Good idea!

for those that can not find silver card, you can get sheets of silver foil, the type uesd by plastic modelers, and laminate it to paper...

Good idea, micah! :mrgreen: I had thought of doing something exactly like that, but I've found the paper here... :twisted: But keeping your idea in mind, I think one would have to be really careful not to wrinkle the foil, don't you agree? :confused: That being done, you'll have an even better, real-looking model in the end. :thumb: :thumb: :cool: :cool:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ohhhhh, I once tried that. It depends on the foil you use whether this procedure is successful or not. The foil I used rinkled when I was pre-shaping the part and another one actually corroded after glueing to the paper. I suggest to try it on a piece of scrap paper frst before making some unpleasant experinces.

micahrogers

Staff member
I was thinking more like a plastic modeler, as in you build a major sub assemble with plain cardstock, then foil the sub assemblies before final assembly.

I built up a Tamiya 1/48th scale F-86 and used foil to replicate the Natural metal finish. For that model I cut each panel from foil and applied every panel individually, it was something like 200 little odd shaped pieces of foil, all glued down with contact cement.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I see. That would work fine. BTW, the corrosion I experienced may be caused by using the wrong glue or by sweaty fingers, I guess.

micahrogers

Staff member
usually it's the glue that causes corrosion, sweat and body oils can corrode some metals though.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Two arms - and no legs...

Now then, let's get back to business. Here are the (shiny :cool: !) parts for the arms. Assembly was straight forward, however, I had to use thinner card for laminating because the silver card is a bit thicker than the usual card I used for the prototype.

Attachments

• DSCF9935.JPG
    DSCF9935.JPG
    153.5 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCF9840.JPG
    DSCF9840.JPG
    149.8 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCF0107.JPG
    DSCF0107.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCF0108.JPG
    DSCF0108.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCF0109.JPG
    DSCF0109.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCF0111.JPG
    DSCF0111.JPG
    121.4 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCF0112.JPG
    DSCF0112.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCF0113.JPG
    DSCF0113.JPG
    134.7 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCF0119.JPG
    DSCF0119.JPG
    136.7 KB · Views: 10

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I couldn't use a coated card cylinder for the elbow because the coat started to wrinkle. Instead I used a wooden rod which will be covered by a silver circle later.

Attachments

• DSCF0121.JPG
    DSCF0121.JPG
    169.1 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCF0115.JPG
    DSCF0115.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCF9670.JPG
    DSCF9670.JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCF0116.JPG
    DSCF0116.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCF0117.JPG
    DSCF0117.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 10

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Now it's rivet time. I punched about 60 small rivets out of obsolete card pieces and attached them to the silver strips. The original prop was designed in exactly the same manner to conceil the seamlines of the single parts of the chassis; instead of rivets they used real screws in order to hold everything together.

Attachments

• DSCF0202.JPG
    DSCF0202.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCF0207.JPG
    DSCF0207.JPG
    166 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCF0208.JPG
    DSCF0208.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCF0211.JPG
    DSCF0211.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCF0213.JPG
    DSCF0213.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 10

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
A few bigger rivets for the sides of the wooden rod.

Attachments

• DSCF0206.JPG
    DSCF0206.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 10

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Rivet bands around the shoulders.

Attachments

• DSCF0218.JPG
    DSCF0218.JPG
    134 KB · Views: 10

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
They almost look like real rivets.
It looks like you are just about to the home stretch on this project!!!
This is GREAT WORK!!!