Credit card leaches

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by Darwin, Feb 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darwin

Darwin Member

Way off topic, but a timely warning to all. While in the process of paying the monthly credit card statements, I happened to call up the full monthly statement instead of just the account summary, like I usually do, and ran across a small transaction posted by a company I didn't recognize, and didn't look like it fit in my wife's normal shopping profile. To make a long story short, this billing turned out to be a semi-legal scam. Basically, the business charges $9 per month to allow you access to their website and print off money-saving cupons....most of which, if not all, are freely available in just about any Wednesday or Sunday newspaper issue. When I called them on it, it seems my wife "subscribed" to their service when she made an on-line payment to Layne Bryant clothing company and was directed to a "consumer survey" page after completing the payment. It turns out that the "survey" is actually a signup to the credit card leach's service, and you only find that out by hitting the nearly nonexistent "policy" button on the page, where that info is buried in the middle of the interminable legalese statement that glazes the eyes of most readers within only the first couple of dozens of paragraphs. What really has me fuming is that Layne Bryant, a supposedly legitimate company, is fully knowledable of this scam, and presumably takes a piece of the scammed money. In short...check your credit account statements like a hawk, and never figure that something you don't recognize must have been something the better half did.....and never, never fill out ANY "consumer support surveys" that pop up after entering your credit card info during an on-line payment. It turns out that the credit card info you entered on the "legitimate" company's secure page is used to sign you up to the scammer once you "subscribe" to their service by filling out what you thought to be just some survey questions which, in and of themselves, seem to ask no personal financial information.
  2. cygielski

cygielski Member

Sorry to hear about your trouble. Hope you didn't have any problems extricating yourself from the contract (???) your wife signed. For me, I don't answer commercial surveys on principle -- if they want the info, they should either pay you to provide it or at least throw in some kind of sweetener for your effort.
  3. nebeltex

nebeltex Member

...the same thing happened to me. the vendor i purchased something from directed me to a similar "survey". even though i checked the appropriate boxes to opt out of their scam, they signed me up anyway. then i got no help from my bank at the time (compass). not only would they not refund what was taken, they wouldn't block it from happening in the future.... needless to say, i changed banks and filed a complaint with the proper agencies.
  4. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Watch that phone bill too!

A similar scam adds charges to your phone bill. Two months ago a company had added charges to my phone bill of $10.95 for an e-mail service which I nor anyone in the household signed up for. I never really found out how it came about. They claim my wife signed up for it after using a Best Buy gift card. My wife has never recieved a Best Buy gift card nor purchased one, or even bought anything from them in the past few years. Also there are free e-mail services all over the internet like yahoo, not to mention the one you always get from your ISP.
    Luckily I have BellSouth phone service and after a quick call to them, they put a block on my phone bill where no additional charges can be added to my bill, unless I myself call them and request them to. This service is free of charge also, thank goodness.
    It seems these fine print, hope you don't notice and just pay your bill, sneaky tactics, are definately on the increase and every bill you receive should be scrutinized.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.