Creating Store Signs for the Layout

bill937ca

I took a break from working on the electrical last night to create some signs for my buildings. I looked in several trolley books and especially by By The El: Third Avenue and its El at Mid-Century for examples of signs from the 40s and 50s. By The El is very good because the photos are in color and show Third Ave, the el and many of the stores along the street.

I created the signs in Excel using different fonts and font sizes, fill colour and font colour controls. The long thin signs are intended for the signboard in the clerestory over the shop window. The smaller signs are intended for double sided signs, hanging over the sidewalk The larger square Downtown Hardware and Eastside Plumbing signs could be applied to the side of a building. There are a couple of signs intended for the windows of my Bachmann bus terminal.

I printed the signs on Domtar 110 lb. Laser-Inkjet Cardstock 8 1/2 x 11 sheet, that I picked up at the local Staples.

The plan from here when I get time (or the mood strikes me) is to:

1. cut out the sign graphic
2. cut a piece of .060 styrene to shape
3. use double sided adhesive mounting paper (I have MBS Stick'em)
4. apply backing paper to the sign
5. peel backing paper from the back side of the sign
6. drill # 80 holes in the top of the plastic for eye-bolt hangers
7. slide a piece of mounting wire (.028 brass wire) through the eye bolts and glue it in place with CA
8. the rod & eye bolts grimy black or dark gray

Attachments

• Signs small.JPG
    Signs small.JPG
    15.8 KB · Views: 128

bill937ca

That image came up smaller than I had hoped. So I've scanned it in halves so you can have a better look at the signs.

Attachments

• signs1 small.JPG
    signs1 small.JPG
    14.9 KB · Views: 120
  • signs 2 small.JPG
    signs 2 small.JPG
    16.8 KB · Views: 119

spitfire

Neat Bill! I like to make my own signs too, it's another fun part of the hobby. My problem is that I have more ideas for stores than I can possibly fit on my layout - and that's with a city that occupies a 30" x 12' chunk of real estate too!

Val

coaster

Bill --

One quick suggestion before you get into the actual signage: Check your spelling on the "FURNITURE" sign.

- Paul

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
spitfire said:
Neat Bill! I like to make my own signs too, it's another fun part of the hobby. My problem is that I have more ideas for stores than I can possibly fit on my layout - and that's with a city that occupies a 30" x 12' chunk of real estate too!

Val

Val,

I'd love to hear some suggestions. I am currently stumped for the (very) short list of buildings in "Marlpost"... Garage/gas station, grain elevator, cattle pen (although this is "communal"), coal and fuel dealer, ice dealer.

Thanks!

Andrew

YmeBP

bill937ca said:
That image came up smaller than I had hoped. So I've scanned it in halves so you can have a better look at the signs.

I can offer you space on my server for an image as big as you need it to be and offer links to it. We are just about at that stage in our layout where scenery is going in and i've been thinking about how to print out on adhesive backed paper some of the more common signs etc.

bill937ca

MasonJar said:
Val,

I'd love to hear some suggestions. I am currently stumped for the (very) short list of buildings in "Marlpost"... Garage/gas station, grain elevator, cattle pen (although this is "communal"), coal and fuel dealer, ice dealer.

Thanks!

Andrew

For coal and fuel dealers this will give you some ideas:

http://www.canadianbranchline.com/retailcoal.htm

http://www.canadianbranchline.com/twocoal.htm

There's also a couple of signs here:

http://www.canadianbranchline.com/ian's.htm