Crazy detailing

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by spitfire, Aug 30, 2003.

1. SD70BNSF

SD70BNSF Member

Very Neat Building

I really like your store front. Great work, I would love to see the rest of the layout!
  2. jimmybeersa

jimmybeersa Member

Like it Lotzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    These are replacements for all the " Z ' you lost making another great scratch built
  3. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Excellent (& resourceful ;) :D ) modeling Val!
    That storefront looks FANTASTIC!!
    :cool: :cool: :cool:
  4. Gary Pfeil

Gary Pfeil Active Member

That is great! What a wonderful idea.

5. MCL_RDG

MCL_RDG Member

...crazy about that? You mean that not everyone does that? Geesh. I thought that was a given.

Very nice Val. While ya have it in your hands- detail the heck out of it, once it gets placed chances are it'll be too dificult to go back. I remember when Blake and I tackled detailing a yard maintenance area on a club RR. Took 20 minutes and there were racks for rail, steel, skids etc. Real quick but inspired. You're inspiration is appreciated. I hope I'll be as inspired when I'm doing the same.

6. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Thanks a lot guys. It's fun when you can find some scrap such as watch parts to represent something else. There are lots of folks on this forum that do some inspired "substitutions". Ralph's shampoo bottle blast furnace comes to mind, and there are lots of other examples too, which my early morning brain can't seem to remember!

Now I'm working on the back, and trying to make it look like a dingy, run-down apartment building. There's an old car there now, but I'd like to replace it with a motorcycle - for the biker that lives in the apt with the confederate flag. :D :D :D

Attached Files:

• back.jpg
      File size:
      56.1 KB
  7. Blake

Blake Member

Love the drapes, water connection and power meter Val. Ahhh the little details that bring it all together!
  8. CN1

CN1 Active Member

As usual, your work is Greeeeeat! Nicely Done
  9. Gary Pfeil

Gary Pfeil Active Member

10. marty w.

marty w. Member

Looking great Val.
    The drapes are cool.:cool: :cool: :cool:
  11. jawatkins

jawatkins Member

Don't know what I can say that hasn't already been said. It a great store and I would never have thought of tearing apart a watch to do that.
  12. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Hi Val,

That's nice work! How did you make those curtains!?!? They look fantastic.

13. Lighthorseman

Lighthorseman Active Member

Gee...Looks like MY Old Place...

Great work, Val! Love the curtains. Cannot wait to hear how you did them.:)
  14. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

I tried to post this last night but couldn't so here it is now. The curtains are from a photo that I downloaded after doing a Google image search, and then printed out the size I wanted. Google has a great image search engine and I have found tons of stuff that way.

For those who can't be bothered, here is the original image I used.

Thanks for all the kind comments!

Attached Files:

15. jawatkins

jawatkins Member

How about a beat up pick- up truck with a gun rack in the back or a matching confederate flag hanging across the back window.
    ;) ;)

Geesh - I've been living in Texas too long!!:D :D

What you've done in the back of the building really looks great!
  16. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

Whoa, it would have to have a PBR bumper sticker on it!!:D :D
  17. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Thanks Val. I always forget about google images...!

A very simple technique, but amazing results. I could have sworn that you spned hours folding masking tape or something to get a 3-D curtain to hang in the window!

18. I love seeing super detailed scenes like this. Great work!
  19. Arlaghan

Arlaghan Member

Too cool!

Wow! I've got to spend less time on the chats, and more time looking for your posts! :D

Nice work, I didn't even realize the drapes were a photograph!
  20. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Thanks again everyone! After some thought, I decided to add some mortar to the building. I don't always do this, but when I do here's my technique. It's pretty simple and easy too. Just take some spackle and lay it thinly over the bricks. Rub it into the joints with your finger, then scrape off any excess with a strip of styrene, or cardboard. If you want your building to look like it's aging, then don't be too careful with the spackle. If there are parts missing, leave them - it looks like the mortar had washed out.

I also added a sign above the windows. All I need now is to find some tiny STP and Champion decals for the windows and I'm done.

One other interesting thing I noticed. The signs in the windows were printed out from my computer, while the street number above the door is a decal. With the interior of the building unlit, it's impossible to see the difference. So for future unlit buildings, I'm not going to bother with decals for street numbers - I'll just print out on a black background.

Attached Files: