Cracking Open PDFs

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by Sticky Fingers, Jan 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I've got this in the mirror image site and I'm wondering if there is anything out there that will allow you to modify a pdf file with having to pay Adobes insane software prices
  2. Ron

Ron Member

Hi Mark

I've found that most good graphics or word processor software will open a pdf. With models such as the Modelart kits or Marek's kits, Corel Draw was usually used to create them. The pdf that the kit is distributed in contains all of the original Corel files. If the pdf hasn't been locked, Corel will open them right up and allow you to edit them natively. Photoshop will pretty much open any pdf file as well. I like to think of the pdf file as a kind of transport mechanism that makes sure that anyone can open pretty much any file. If you need Corel, Corel Draw 11 is available on their site as an unrestricted 30 day trial. If you need help, let me know and I'll help in any way I can

All the best

3. Ron thanks for the tip. I can scan and import into Paint Shop Pro V.8.0. Being rather cheap that is about my absolute limit for the Price of software
  4. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

the freeware program ghostview/ghostgum allows you to capture the output that normally goes to a postscript printer and then convert it into
    any type you want, jpg, bmp, or even a pdf (again) google it.

- Jon
  5. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

opening pdfs.

Mark, Any version of CorelDraw from version 9 onwards will open a pdf file, IF it is not protected. What you find when you open it depends a lot on how the file was generated, but if it is vector data you can save out as a Corel file and edit to your hearts content. I have tried a few and usually, if they will open, there is a large amount of extraneous material that can be ditched. Then you can reposition everything to suit yourself, so all the formers can go on one page, all the skins on another, all the metal bits on another, then you can print them out on appropriate cardstock. Recolouring is obviously easy to do as well; check out Rons Pfalz III.....

If it is a bitmap image, save that out and use your paint program.

PS Usual stuff about respecting copyright, of course.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.