CPR streaked lettering

Discussion in 'Weathering Forum' started by Biased turkey, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Biased turkey

Biased turkey Active Member

I just tried the tip from Models Railroaders book " Basic Painting and Weathering for Model Railroaders" ( Jeff Wilson ) about streaked lettering.
    I drybrushed the same base boxcar color ( in my case CP action red ) to fade the lettering.
    I like the result , but you'll be the judges.

2. ScratchyAngel

ScratchyAngel Member

Nice effect there. :thumb:
  3. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

With this base color, it looks like rust or dirt as much as faded paint. Which is still good.
  4. Biased turkey

Thank you for taking some of your precious time to reply ScratchyAngel and Triplex.
    It is amazing what 2 simple weathering techniques ( black wash and dry brushing the car base color ) can do.
    It is an N scale boxcar so it is easy to overdo it.
    I'm still looking for that perfect paint brush used for dry brushing.

5. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

Good looking results, Jacques. Usually, it's best to buy the best quality brushes that you can find, although I'm not sure that that applies to those used for dry brushing, which can be rough on a brush. In general, use brushes with natural bristles for solvent-based paints, such as Floquil and ScaleCoat, and synthetic bristles for water-based paint, like PollyScale or Modelflex.

6. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

My dry-brush brushes are cheap-o. I cut the bristles down until there's only a little left, and then use a scrubbing action to put most of the weathering on. The little plastic Testors brushes are good for this.

7. ScratchyAngel

ScratchyAngel Member

8. Biased turkey

Thanks Andrew and Wayne for the tips about the dry-brush brushes. I found a good one in my "paint brushes coffee mug".

Jason, very interesting video. I watched it 3 times but I may have missed some point here because I never saw any segment of the video where the "Danish weatherer" uses the same paint as the base car color to fade the lettering. Very instructive video nevertheless.

9. logicman

logicman Greybeard

Don't forget, people, the brushes used for oils - very good for a scrubbing effect with modeller's paints.

Buy-by-the-dozen brushes from toyshops, pound/dime stores.

Make-up kits can be bought cheaply with various brushes and applicators to experiment with, after which you might try them on your plastic models.sign1

Tip: soft make-up brushes, I think they are called 'blushers' are great for dusting delicate models.