CP Rail GP9u Step by Step :)

davidmbedard

May 19, 2003
Calgary, Canada
www.davidbedard.com
Rather than wait for someone else to do this project, ive decided to take the plunge.

Here is the goal (and it can be applied to other roads as well)
GP9u.jpg

Taken from Trianweb http://www.trainweb.org/galt-stn/cproster/main.htm

This is how I decided I would should start on this journey:
An Atlas GP7 (I dont have a GP9 and I dont count louvers. If you have a GP9 shell, the steps are the same) and a life like GP20 (one of those 19.99 Model Expo fine locos)

gp9u%20002.jpg

Taken apart

gp9u%20003.jpg

Ive decided to use the Atlas frame as opposed to the Life Like one because it is a closer start!

gp9u%20004.jpg

Here is the cut for the Atlas Shell

gp9u%20006.jpg

And the cut for the Life Like

gp9u%207.jpg

Here we have the Life Like short hood and cab and the Atlas long hood.

gp9u%20009.jpg

'dry fitting' the hoods.

gp9u%20010.jpg

and with the cab

gp9u%20011.jpg

This is the Starting point for my project.
Items on the agenda include:
1.removing most of the Skirt
2.Winterization hatch
3.Fabricat the destinctive CP numberboards
4.Add Horn, Sinclair ant.
5.Paint.

davidmbedard

May 19, 2003
Calgary, Canada
www.davidbedard.com
Here are the changes done to the skirting. Very easy to do!

gp9u%20012.jpg

To This

gp9u%20013.jpg

I find the Rail Nipper tools to be perfect for this part of the job.

Here is the start of the nose headlights. I just added styrene to the front of the nose and took off the marker lights.

gp9u%20014.jpg

Here is the "eyebrow" modification. I filed down the numberboard/ light assembly and added styrene (again...got to love the stuff!). Ill next add the bell and the sinclar ant.

gp9u%20015.jpg

gp9u%20017.jpg

gp9u%20018.jpg

davidmbedard

May 19, 2003
Calgary, Canada
www.davidbedard.com
And finally! A dirty CP Rail GP9u(ish) ready for the yard! In the next few days ill fix the fuel tank, but untill then I am keeping with the story that this was an ex-passenger unit!

A little lonely :(
gp9u%20029.jpg

Much Better!
gp9u%20030.jpg

gp9u%20031.jpg

gp9u%20032.jpg

Thank you for your patience on this project. Sorry it took 6 hours. I have 4 more of these to make (or ill make them highnosers or CP Rail Systems or...or....or....SO MANY CHOISES!)

Cheers

SD90

May 23, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Amazing work as usually David! I like the step by step photos too! Thanks for the pencil trick for the dirty grills and radiators!

cpr_paul

Jul 2, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Awesome! Thanks for sharing, I'll definitely use it as a reference if and when I get around to making one. I'll need at least one for the Sudbury yard goat...

hudson2816

Aug 14, 2003
Elora ON
Visit site
Heya guys.. I've been going to this site for quite a while now... only registered today tho... I really admire the work that us Canadian guys are doing!! great stuff!!! Getting to my question.. David... I was wondering what paint do you use for your engines? I am going to be detailing and painting about 4 CP SD40-2's in the next coming months.. with 2 being the no multimark scheme... and the red you used is about as close I've seen.. have you painted any units in the Golden rodent scheme? if so what red do you use.. I have heard that Soo line red works pretty good.

Once again.. keep up the amazing work... loved the step by step stuff on that GP9u... personally I'm waiting for the new Life Like's to arrive.. in my opinon... can't have enough Geeps! lol

Clerk

Nov 6, 2002
Esparto, California
Visit site
What great pictures David. I envy people like you that can take one thing and make something else out of it. At my age I am just to clumsy and my eyes just aint what they used to be.

davidmbedard

May 19, 2003
Calgary, Canada
www.davidbedard.com
Huddy.....I use Poly S action red with a refer gray undercoat. Ive used this alot and I really like the results. For the Golden Bever, Ive never done this scheme cause its not very tasteful, but I would use Soo Line red cause thats what the big guy uses.

Cheers

SD70BNSF

Aug 11, 2003
St. Louis, MO
Visit site
Wow, Great Transformation

That was a great transformation. I studied it for a while. How easy was it to remove the cab from the hood? Do they pop off with force (snap fit?) or do you have to cut or use some other means to remove them? When you do this do you end up with a left over motor? or do you find empty shells to make these changes?

hudson2816

Aug 14, 2003
Elora ON
Visit site
Thanks David! I was thinkin' Polly S Red... now that the power's back on.. hmmm maybe I can start to model again! lol a little hard to much with candle light!

Thanks Matthyro... the gauge seems like a great place for info and ideas and everyone seems very helpfull... one reason why I joined here

SD90

May 23, 2003
Canada
Visit site
I'm going to make one of these for my next project, I also have 5 of those GP20's to paint! I've got all the paint and decals now, just have find some time!

Z

Zathros

:eek:This thread is 9 years old. I think this takes the "Necropost" of the year award!:eek: