Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
near Kamloops BC to bad the post got in the way

Attachments

• kamloops.jpg
    kamloops.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 124

interurban

:D :D :D Glad you trained (pun) your daughter at an early age to take train pics. We can all Reap the benifits now:D :D :D
Good onya Girl;)

This time last year, I was finishing 10 days of honeymooning with my wife in the Rockies and Selkirks, returning to Field BC each evening where we stayed at the Kicking Horse Lodge. When I suggested spending time in the Rockies and Field BC, I told her that I hadn't selected the place for the trains (honest!). To convince her of my sincerity, I didn't take too many photos of trains.

Our evening's past-time was to haul out a lounge chair and watch those AC4400's with the occasional SD90 MAC haul those freights up and down the mountain. The appearance of SD40s was a very rare occasion that called for a closer look.

Actually, this photo was taken just after breakfast before we went through the Kicking Horse valley through to Golden.
field01.jpg

I no sooner took that picture when what should be coming off the Kicking Horse Pass but another large lashup.
Field02.jpg

On one of our trips to Golden, this little Sperry Rail car was parked at the end of the yard closest to the Kicking Horse River.
GoldenSperry.jpg

It slowly made its way up to Field arriving one evening. I wanted to wait until morning to take some photos as the light would be much better. When I awoke the next morning, the Sperry car was gone. I saw it again the next day in Banff.

There was usually lots of action in the evening when we got back to Field, with long and heavy freights coming in both directions. Here's just one of them. That's 5 AC4400s (there might be an SD90 MAC in there) pulling that load with a couple of pushers in the middle.
Field03.jpg

Of course, any trek to the Kicking Horse Pass requires the pilgrimage up to the Big Hill to visit the remains of the narrow gauge 2-6-0 that lies on its side.
spirals2-6-0.jpg

When we got back home and my wife found out that she had taken more train photos than I had, she immediately said that we'd have to go back to Field BC again.

I told a model railroad friend about our trip to Field and he said he was going to Field in October and that he was going to take some videos. He returned with some beautiful footage from Canmore to Field with about 15 cm of snow on the ground. He gave me a copy along with other videos he had made the previous year on his pilgrimmage to the Spirals, the Kicking Horse Pass, and the Selkirks.

I had a business trip out to Edmonton and Calgary last January and ended up in Field on the weekend of February 01-03 - four days before my birthday.

Matthyro, I'm sure your daughter will forever remember that trip and the pictures she took!

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Great photos Bob. Wish I could have spent more time at Field but spent time camping at Lake Louise and did a lot of hiking.
Dick, yes my daughter and her husband drive an auto hauling truck mostly between Edmonton and Vancouver but sometimes from Calgary. They are based out of Winnipeg so also get lots of runs to the US