Cowl vent patterns?

Discussion in 'Ship & Watercraft Models' started by OhioMike, Aug 20, 2007.

1. OhioMike

OhioMike Member

I wonder if someone could help me with a pattern that i could resize of a cowl vent? The curves of these things have me all screwed up! Thanks in advance.
  2. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Like slats stamped into steel that allow warm air to escape????

I need a little more info on this ... pics could help.
  3. OhioMike

OhioMike Member

No, the classic ship board deck vents. Like these.:cool:

Attached Files:

4. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

I would say cheat.

- Get a drinking straw of like size.
    - Flare one end of the straw to match the bell shape.
    - Cut a V shaped section from the side out of it but make sure there is enough straw left to retain it's shape and not splay open.
    - Fold the straw at the cut apex and glue with crazy glue.

I think this would only work with VERY small scaled vents.

The narrower the V cuts and the more you have to complete the 90* angle the smoother the curve.

I'm not a ship modeller but it's how I would do it. Plastic straw could be substituted for paper if you create the cylinder from paper first.
  5. dansls1

dansls1 Member

The air intake on the BF109-G8 I'm building right now is very similar to this - and if you imagine the step 3 piece cut on the right side and laid out flat that's the design they use.
  6. Bernhard

Bernhard Member

Hi Ohio Mike
    The curves of these things are compound curves and cannot be unrolled in a geometrically exact way - no matter how hard you try.
    You can only approximate the shape. A coarse approximation results in few parts which can be easily assembled. A close approximation requires a large number of parts which may be difficult to glue together.
    It depends a little bit on how small a vent you want to build and how simple a shape you find acceptable.
    What size of vent do you need?
    I designed two patterns in Rhino one simple (3 parts) for small vents and a more complicated one (5 parts, if memory serves me right) for vents with an opening of about 1cm (and more).