Cow on track wiring question

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Grant B, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Grant B

Grant B Member

Picked up the accessory without the control button which is unlike any others that I have.
    I assume the 1st button 'closes the circuit' so what does the other one do?
    Are the indepentant of each other?
    Thanks Much for looking
  2. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

3. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

As a guess, I would say - the left button - sends the cow out over the track, the right button brings it back :) :)
  4. Grant B

Grant B Member

Which means the 2nd opens the circuit again but you could achieve that by hitting the button again.
    They tend not to have extra stuff if the don't need it.
    I have the same diagram but it doesn't tell you the internal wiring to the control button.

5. SteamerFan

SteamerFan Member

And here i was wondering what wiring a cow to the rails would do. hmm...maybe it helps with the milk production, with all that current traveling through them.
  6. siderod

siderod Member

I would think current might sour the milk? Well, they've tried sour juice drinks, why not sour milk?? :thumb: :eek: :rolleyes: :D

7. Grant B

Grant B Member

That's still better than the stuff they REALLY put in cows today.
    With current they end up on the BRBQ early.
    I tell people my cows in my stockyard are Freerange cows except they are too lazy to move.....hence I put them on the train and give them a ride......with no messy ending!

Mikey I like your signature....the more I am stressed at work; the more I work on my trains and even when they don't work I know I will get them going again....unlike computers
  8. TR-Flyer

TR-Flyer Member

We operate this accessory on our modular layout by having a button the public can push which moves the cow onto the track. They then push the same button to move it back and of course, it doesn't do anything. So, as the train gets closer and closer, they either a) get really upset cause the train is going to hit the cow or b) get really excited because the train is going to hit the cow. Then the cow jumps out of the way of the train all by itself because we have the other wire connected to a Lionel IR detector which senses the approaching train and activates the cow to get it to move off the track. It's alot more fun this way.

9. hooknlad

hooknlad Member

Id really like to see this cow thingymajiggy !!! Its gotta be cool !!!
  10. Grant B

Grant B Member

That is a great idea! Too bad they don't come up with fun things like that anymore. When friends come over with kids they seem interested until I shot off a few missiles then they are in total awe!

I'll post a picture after I get done walking the dogs cause they don't wait
  11. Grant B

Grant B Member

Here's Bessie, I am building around the base so it blends in least you get the idea

Attached Files:

12. Grant B

Grant B Member

Instead of the IR detector I used a AF Tracktrip for the other button and it works great!
    Thanks very much for the advice
  13. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Member

Me too! Where would one pick up one of them there thingymajiggies if one was so inclined? I've got a somwhat different use in mind, but I'll bet the electronics would be similar (I'm electronically challanged). Here's my idea for the track that runs behind the jailhouse.
  14. Grant B

Grant B Member

Ebay might be the easist since they are from the 50s. Lionel's Mountie rescue is cheaper and can be found new. Same principal except Miss Pitstop is tied across the tracks and the mountie comes gets her before her name is shorte.
  15. Grant B

Grant B Member

Here she is again after getting 'cleaned up' ....across the tracks no less!

Attached Files:

16. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Can I figure from this that the cow works like a switch machine -- one button flips her on and the other flips her off?
  17. Grant B

Grant B Member

Pretty Much; The gears on the bottom moves her up a inch and swings her out.
    Lionel's Candian Mounty Rescue Snaps them back; you manual pull the mounty to the starting Point.

My Favorite is my Exploding Ammo Dump. It basically is a big mouse trap you set. If I can hit it with my missile car; the trap gets thrown and the dump explodes in all directions!
    Don't let it get finger....hurts like hell!

Takes me a while to get all these things working but they are worth it.