Covering the layout

Hi Larry. Your site not working?? When it comes to covering a layout most modelers don't. i guess when u build a layout u try to build in an area that won't be affected too much by the elements, unless u have a garden railroad ;) . u can make an enclosure for your layout using some sort of plexiglass, or have the layout fold up into the wall. Or like one model railroader did in his garage it raised up into the ceiling. But if i'm going to be away from the layout for a long time, more than a month, than i just covered it with a cotton sheet. :)

warren danzenba

Aug 2, 2002
Annandale, Virginia
Visit site
away with the dust!

My HO layout is small....about 14' long by 4' deep. I buy the very thin plastic sheting sold in Home Depot designed to cover furniture while painting. It's so light weight it doesn't knock anything over, and trees are not damaged. Yes, it helps to glue down tall things like water towers, etc. After as little as two weeks I can see a dust layer. When it gets really dusty...I just shove the sheeting in a plastic bag and toss it. Total cost is about $2 for a new cover....cheaper if you wait for a sale.