Covered Water Tank

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
This is my N gauge version of the real water tank still standing in the small Saskatchewan town of Harris.
wt.jpg

Matthyro

Dick, the planking is 1/16th strips of cerealboard. It took me a long time to get them cut and glued in place.

ezdays

Out AZ way
As usual, fantastic work. cutting and pasting those strips has to take patience and perseverance, but the finished product makes it all worthwhile.

Don

RailRon

As usual, a first class modeling job, my friend! That's an interesting structure, designed for a cold climate, I guess?

I have two questions, Robin:

A prototype question: How did they heat those tanks - was there a crew of some sorts living in or near these tanks to put some more coal or wood into the stove? Or was this the job of the passing locomotive crews?

And a question about your modeling: How did you model the water spout? It looks great!

Ron

belg

Robin excellent work as usual. I was wondering if you have ever tried just scoring the cardboard and assembling a section at one time.If you wanted to you could cut out a few "boards" here and there to make them stick out a little more.

Matthyro

Thanks for the kind words guys. This type of tank was common in northern regions. It had a heater inside which provided sufficient warmth to keep the water from freezing during the winter months. A hapless "fireboy" tended the wood stove and also operated the spout. This reminds me that I forgot to put a chimney pipe up so will have to do that.
Ron, the water spout is made from a piece of waste sprue from a boat kit.

Strthoky

ya know after being on here for a couple months and seeing your awesome cardboard modeling one thing pops into my head...
you must not eat TOTAL.. cause it takes several bowls of anyother ceral to equal one bowl of total.. :D :D and if you ate total you wouldn't have enough boxes :D :D :D

Looks great Robin!!!

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Nice one Robin! What an interesting and well weathered structure! Say, how many buildings have you created so far?
Ralph

Matthyro

Ralph, so far about 50 scratchbuilt structures and I have about the same number of kits I bought and built before I new I could build my own. Building kits was sure a help as it gave me a feel of how they go together.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Hi Robin,

Nice tank! I have often seen these closed towers described as CPR Water Tanks, but I assume that CN and other Canadian / northern roads had them too...?

Anyway, my question is - how did you make the roof? I assume from the edges visible in the picture, that it is not a smooth round roof, but rather one made up of sections (6 or eight...?). I have tried a few times to put a roof on my tank, to no avail! I just can't get the pieces to line up... :mad: The roof I have planned is supposed to be made of 12 triangular pieces :(.

Any advice?!?!

Thanks!

Andrew

Matthyro

Andrew. This first photo shows the 8 sided roof. The shingles are paper strips.

Attachments

• roof2.jpg
    roof2.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 233

Matthyro

This next photo is a rough drawing I did using MS paint and hope it is enough to show you how I did it. Basically I cut 8 right angle triangles with the vertical edge the height of the roof slope. They are glued to the roof base vertically with the vertical edges in the centre of the roof. The next 8 triangles are cut wedge shape and are glued to the roof base along the edges and on top of the right angle pieces

Attachments

• roof.jpg
    roof.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 224

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Thanks Robin for the pointers!

I think I can tackle that pesky roof now. I'll try to get a picture when it is done.

Andrew

Geeeee Robin, You went and did it again!!:eek:

Don't you ever pick on Simple structures to build??? :D :D
It looks great! All that time spent cladding the card with timber sure paid dividends.

Errol

Mikol

scale

Excuse, but what scale are we talking here? oh yes dont mistake youve some great modeling here but could I suggest a base for the structure to level it. or not?:confused: :confused: :confused: