Courthouse?

Play-Doh

Hey folks

I would like to build a courthouse, and I have been gathering ideas from different buildings. Do any of you folks have a courthouse in your layout? I would love to see some pics!

doctorwayne

At one time, Heljan or Concor offered a model of a courthouse. I believe that there was also a series of buildings to go with it called "Courthouse Square". You might be able to find one at a train show, or perhaps on e-bay.

Wayne

Pooh Bah
Modern or traditional? we have the most ghastly modern courthouse in town; replaced some older modern buildings that had some style but were falling apart.

doctorwayne

I checked in my 1995 Walthers catalogue, which shows the Heljan courthouse (same as the old ConCor version). It's a stately-looking two-storey brick building, apparently "tee" shaped, with a "Federal-style" sloped roof and a central cupola/tower. The same catalogue also shows a courthouse from IHC. They call it a county court house: it's a smaller building with three large arched windows along each side, a gable roof, and tall pillars and multiple doors on the front. In toe 2005 catalogue, the same IHC structure is shown as both a court house and as a colonial church. Both versions have sprouted a tower on the roof. The church has a bell tower/steeple, while the courthouse sports a clock tower. Surprisingly, the Heljan courthouse is also shown. The Walthers number for it is 322-906 and the 2005 price is $42.98. They list the size as 15 3/4"x11 3/8"x10 13/32". I suggest that you pick up a copy of the latest Walthers catalogue. It's an anniversary year for them, and the price, for a change, is very reasonable, around ten or twelve bucks. There are lots of other neat goodies shown, too.

Wayne

Play-Doh

Thanks guys, ill pick up a catalogue so I can stop bother you folks with my silly questions sign1
Im gonna model somethin more traditional...brick, moderately small, and with columns. Ill keep you posted on my scratchbuilding results.

mojo

I purchased this replica of the Montgomery County courthouse located in Red Oak Iowa for my courthouse. Size is good for N scale. Looks like a small town courthouse. I did not change a thing to mine. Got some civil war cannons to place on the lawn. It was $40 plus shipping. www.redoakiowa.com
Tim

Courthouse%20Replica%20-%20Front.jpg

MilesWestern

There is a Haljan Court House square building kit on Ebay RIGHT NOW..just searcj for it, and It should have some great parts for it.

Pooh Bah
Any building in the appropriate style (Federal or Greek revival, or what you prefer) could be used. As well as the bank, look at railroad stations and post offices. Something with a string of columns and a lot of steps up the front would be suitable.

Play-Doh

After carefully considering all the suggestions I took a stab at scratchbuilding one!. Tonight I finished it by adding the collumns. What do you think?

courthouse1.jpg

courthouse2.jpg

cnw1961

I agree, great job. You learned a lot since your first attempt on scratch building a few months ago. Keep on going :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: .