Couplers

jonz12

Dec 9, 2005
Pontiac, IL
I am just getting started in n Gauge. Would like to know the which couplers to look for. I want to be able to uncouple using a remote.........Thanks

The two most common types of couplers in N scale are Rapido couplers and MT (Micro Trains) couplers. Other companies have inveted couplers that never really found any wide acceptance. You want MT couplers in order to be able to remotely uncouple. A small magnetic device gets installed in the track.

If you want a good overview of N scale couplers, click here.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
jonz12 said:
I am just getting started in n Gauge. Would like to know the which couplers to look for. I want to be able to uncouple using a remote.........Thanks
Welcome to the Gauge. If you'd like, one of us mods could move this thread for you to the N/Z scale forum where it should get better attention. Just say the word...

As far as "automatic" uncoupling, there are two ways that I know of, one is mechanical for the Rapido-type couplers, the other is using an electromagnet for the Micro Train couplers. I've got a couple of the mechanical ones that I got in a box lot of stuff I bought, but I've not used either type so I cannot comment on how they work, or if there's any other way to do this.