Couplers & Trucks

Illus

I just got a box of HO cars, locos and assorted stuff from a friend who is never going to use it, and some of the coupers are broken and missing. Which ### Kadee coupler is the preferred? I started looking at them, but ther seems to be quite a few different ones...

Also, who is a good supplier for trucks, or wheel sets?

Thanks

KD # 5's work in 85% of cars with body-mount coupler pockets. I have read that they have a website with all of their conversion information, but I haven't been there myself. Maybe a fellow Gauge member has the URL.

YmeBP

santafewillie said:
KD # 5's work in 85% of cars with body-mount coupler pockets. I have read that they have a website with all of their conversion information, but I haven't been there myself. Maybe a fellow Gauge member has the URL.

http://www.kadee.com/conv/convpl.htm

I've just taken the plung and bought a couple number 5's and some associated hight gauge, and assembly block. I plan to purchase one of those little spring clips too eventually.

From what i gather here at the gauge the #5's are common and w/ a little thought and some quickset epoxy :D you can attach them to just about anything.

I have the horn couplers on most of the stock i bought as they were really cheap and low end stuff. But i'm in the process of upgrading the trucks and wheels and plan to hit the couplers at the same time.

From all the reading i've been doing and my playing around w/ them a little they seem very very strong and easy to work with.

Pooh Bah
Dominic: check for a brand name under the cars, then you can find appropriate Kadees. While the #5 work with most plastic cars, there are some odd situations, usually with truck-mounted couplers, that require something different.
Kadees are sturdy, but can be damaged by a four-foot fall to a concrete floor.

Russ Bellinis

60103 said:
Dominic: check for a brand name under the cars, then you can find appropriate Kadees. While the #5 work with most plastic cars, there are some odd situations, usually with truck-mounted couplers, that require something different.
Kadees are sturdy, but can be damaged by a four-foot fall to a concrete floor.

Just remember that if you have truck mounted couplers on a car and want to switch to body mounts, any conversion that Kaddee gives will be for converting the truck mounts to Kaddee, not for body mounting. I have found that it is not difficult to mount #5's at the correct height on just about everything I've tried. The #5 is close to the universal coupler.

Glen Haasdyk

Actually tune in to Gary S. 'Novice tutorial- Acurail boxcars' on coupler instalation it's a good primer on what you're looking for.