couplers and wheel Q's

13Mtrainer

Aug 21, 2004
central pa
i have some questions on what type of couplers are the best and there price and what wheels are the best and there price to. if you have any links please post them. :)

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
The best couplers are the "Ol; reliable" #5 Kadees, which work on almost everything. For special applications Kadee has a huge line of other couplers, plus a "conversion guide".

For wheels, I like the Proto2000 metal wheels. I get mostly 33" ribbed back (my era is 20s and 30s). I have also tried a set of Atlas caboose trucks, which come with metal wheels too - also nice. I should note that the majority of my wheel retrofits are in Accurail or Roundhouse kits.

Andrew

jdscales040

Sep 6, 2004
Wind Gap, PA
www.angelfire.com
I use Kadee's #58 coupler in everything but tank cars. There I'm converting to Kadee's new #118 shelf coupler.
As far as wheelsets, every car has metal wheels. I won't even think about plastic. I'm starting to convert all the wheels to semi-scale 88 wheel treads.
John D.

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
Prices vary--normally you can get packs of 10 pairs of Kadee #5's for around $14. Proto 2000 are good, but personally i prefer Intermountain metal wheelsets, which run $8-9 for a pack of 12 axles (enough for 3 cars.) This can add up if you have a lot of cars (although you can save quite a bit by getting them in packs of 100 instead, for around $60) but they make a huge difference in the smooth operation, better appearance, cleaner track and easier uncoupling of your trains.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
The Kaddee #5's are probably your best bet on a budget. Since the patent expired, allowing other manufacturers to make copies of the Kaddee #5, the price has come down considerably. I think I've seen 10 packs for about $20.00. If I remember correctly, the Proto 2000 wheelsets are the least expensive metal wheelsets available.

Bikerdad

Oct 17, 2003
Southwestern US
Visit site
no, no, no, these guys have it all wrong. You want to use Micro-Trains trucks and couplers. :thumb:

See, what you do is you go out, but a 10pack of Barber Roller Bearing trucks with short extension couplers, then find some rolling stock to put them on, then find a locomotive to pull it, then get the track and a powerpack, and you're all set.

It will be Nchanting... :thumb:

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Best price I have seen for P2K wheels is CAN$8.95 from Canadian Express Lines (mail order) in Montreal. If you google it, you should find a link - my bookmarks are on another computer... :rolleyes:

Andrew