couplers and uncoupler

erie

Dec 6, 2006
lancaster sc
For the guys that have been modeling HO for a wiel what are some good knuckle couplers and uncouplers that dont cost to much.I have some old HO stuff that came with the standerd type and want to change over to knuckle type.That and in the future Ill have a better idea of what to buy and look for when I buy more cars. thank you

santafewillie

Aug 4, 2002
era tx
Visit site
One word - Kadee. #5's work in most situations. The only alternates that I like are Accumates. I was so disappointed with the original McHenry's that I have not tried their newer ones. I have used EZ mates but found that the whisker spring on them is just as weak as the McHenry's

erie

Dec 6, 2006
lancaster sc
Ok how bout the uncoupler any good ones out here I take it the kadee is magnic type .new to knuckle couplers and the un coupler always had the ones that came with the set them funny ones.After about 45 years of not modeling HO trains alot of its new

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
As has been mentioned, Kaddees are good. Accumates worked well for me except when backing a long train, I found the weight of the train would cause them to stick in the open position and uncouple when I started to go forward again. If you are looking at any other couplers, look for a metal knuckle spring. Any coupler that has the little plastic leaf spring will suffer coupler spring failures regularly. The exception are the Sergents couplers. They have a small interlock inside the coupler rather than a knuckle spring, but they are not inexpensive couplers. Here is a link to their web site in case you are interested.
Sergent Engineering Home Page