Coupler solution

Gil Finn

Aug 28, 2005
Bergoo W Va
I have about 100 cars of varying quality with both horn and knuckle couplers.

I found you can trim down horn types and they funtion fairly well but it is difficult connecting them.

So rather than conver half my cars and engines, I took several cars and swapped couplers on one end so these will accoumadate anything. sign1

Now I can mix them up for a frieght consist or make a whole coal drag with about 25 hoppers. Same with log cars and my Shays.

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
I've done this with my passenger cars until I get around to changing them all over. I also have and Athearn F-7 b that I used as a conversion car, but to be honest I hardly ever use it since almost all my cars have been switched over to Knuckle couplers of some kind

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
I'm right there with you Gil but what I did was set up a couple of locos with one magnetic and one horn hook. That way they can each run trains of one sort or the other. Obviously i can't do switching moves that invovle having the loco run around the train and pull out cars from the rear...but I have other locos that are fully equipped with one form of coupler or the other.
Ralph

Jeffs_Railroad

Dec 18, 2006
Connecticut
Hi all - I have run into a similar situation with horn and Knuckle coupers on low quality rolling stock. Was going to convert the horn to knuckle but noticed that the rolling stock I have from 23 years back do not allow access to the coupler without doing damage, unless I replace the entire assembly. Would appreciate any suggestions. Do not feel the cars are of quality to replace, considering buying new rolling stock.

Gil Finn

Aug 28, 2005
Bergoo W Va
Jeffs_Railroad said:
Hi all - I have run into a similar situation with horn and Knuckle coupers on low quality rolling stock. Was going to convert the horn to knuckle but noticed that the rolling stock I have from 23 years back do not allow access to the coupler without doing damage, unless I replace the entire assembly. Would appreciate any suggestions. Do not feel the cars are of quality to replace, considering buying new rolling stock.

I have super glued one coupler on a car several times and it seems to work OK if it only one end and independant of the trucks.