coupler replacement

justind

Jul 8, 2001
Provo, UT, USA
I'm in the process of replacing the horn hook couplers on my loco's with some more prototypical types, and have encountered a problem. You can't tell from the picture but the circuluar hole in the base of the horn hook coupler is quite a bit smaller than the hole in the base of the prototypical ones. Why is this, and how can I shim them up without interfering with the performance?

Attachments

• couplers.jpg
    couplers.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 319

Blake

Jul 19, 2002
Northern New Jersey
www.BlakeDTatar.com
The prototypical coupler you are showing is a McHenry coupler I believe. If you are starting to re-couplerize (now there's a cool made up word!) I would suggest going with Kaddee couplers. Use their #58 couplers with the boxes (if possible). The perform much better than any other coupler on the market in my opinion.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
If you do want to stay with the McHenrys, I would go to your local hobby shop and look at styrene tubing to see if there is a size suitable to make a bushing. If the size diference is very small, some K&S brass tubing might work. It looks like you have the McHenry coupler with the metal coil knuckle spring. If you have any of the Kaadee knockoffs with the plastic leaf spring, don't waste time with them. Within an hour of use the springs will weaken and begin to open up. In two hours you won't be able to keep a train together.

Matt Probst

Mar 15, 2002
Hershey,Pa.
Visit site
Originally posted by rcwatkins
Just don't use those cheap horn hooks. Or you'll get arrested by the prototype police. I've been convicted of using crapido's. :D

...but you can go "incognito" to avoid the "prototype police" ; just nip off the horn and then nip off the hook. Give the coupler a couple of swipes with a file and they'll mate perfectly with a Kadee or McHenry! Problem is they are a b---- to get uncoupled again!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D

Matt--Hershey, Pa.

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
What type????????

OK now I'm even more confused than usual, when I start redoing my couplers which replacements are best and look most prototypical? The only thing I'd like to add is that I have quite a few Kato engines and cars with those micro couplers???? are they good because in my experience they seem to uncouple a lot easier than the rapidos.

Jon is there such a list of conversions for N scale as well??

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
I think Micro-trains is the Kadee of N scale. In fact, I think they bought their line from Kadee some time ago. I'm not a dentist, and I don't claim to know anything about N scale, so you should ask those who know to be sure. I might have the wrong company. But, they do have quite a conversion list:

Microtrains conversion charts

In search of this, I also found This Tech Page

Couplers, wheelsets, and trucks is an area where I've found you can really save a lot by mail ordering from someplace like 1stplace especially if you can find what you want in a Bulk Pack

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Micro trains split off from Kadee. Kadee started doing N scale a ways back and the two brothers who run it split up into two companies, one N and the other remaining HO. Don't know any details but heard it wasn't the friendliest split up.

stary

Jul 22, 2002
bridgeport, pa.
Visit site
Originally posted by jon-monon
I think Micro-trains is the Kadee of N scale. In fact, I think they bought their line from Kadee some time ago. I'm not a dentist, and I don't claim to know anything about N scale, so you should ask those who know to be sure. I might have the wrong company. But, they do have quite a conversion list:

Microtrains conversion charts

In search of this, I also found This Tech Page

Couplers, wheelsets, and trucks is an area where I've found you can really save a lot by mail ordering from someplace like 1stplace especially if you can find what you want in a Bulk Pack
I'm in N scale, and, yes Micro-trains are the Kadee of N scale. Atlas, though, also makes "knuckle couplers" for N scale that are called ACCUMATE. ("knuckle couplers" are couplers that look like real ones). Don't go with RIVVAROSI couplers, though. (they're the N scale equivelant of HO scale "horn-hooks")