Couple of questions

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by Lionheart, Feb 23, 2005.

  1. Lionheart

    Lionheart New Member

    What is Bristol Board? How thick is it? Also, how do you get your backup copies made? Is it very expensive? I realize it depends on the number of pages, etc. But is it fairly reasonable, at least? Thanks for all your help, Gentlemen, and Ladies if there are any in here!
  2. rickstef

    rickstef Guest

    Bristol Board is better left to those who know

    as far backups, most if not all of us use scanners
    that would be the quick answer

  3. Jim Nunn

    Jim Nunn Member

    Considering the cost of having a model scanned you could justify the cost of an inexpensive scanner. The following links are for Fry’s Electronics this is a geek heaven for computer types. The first link is for a scanner selling for $29 less then the cost of an ink tank for your printer.

    This link is for a complete list of scanners all under $100.00. Most of the newer scanners require a computer and operating system that supports USB ports

    Read the description carefully the very low cost items may be factory refurbished units, I personally have no objections to refurbished items and purchased a HP 4400 scanner and have had no problems.

    Jim Nunn
  4. wunwinglow

    wunwinglow Active Member

    I bought my current scanner, a Canon 3200, from Morgan Computers here in the UK. It is a factory referb, not that I can tell why. It works perfectly, and has a neg/slide scanner built in. All for less than £50, including VAT and carriage. Usual disclaimer, no conection with Morgan other than being a very happy customer.

    Tim P
  5. Leif Oh

    Leif Oh Member

    Bristol board is cardstock made especially for airbrush painting. It is kind of stiff and very glossy.
    Comes in different thicknesses; the pad I've got is around 0.25mm. I've never actually used it.

    I know, since I once asked the very same question on this site and got the advice from a Polish
    member just to use standard thickness card/paper. Worked fine in my particular case. I then
    enquired at my local artists' shop and got the additional information about what it's for.

    In paper modeling it seems to be recommended for doubling up special parts in e.g. Halinski kits.

    Bottom line, you could either go and buy yourself a pad of Bristol board in an artists' shop, if you
    like to pay extra attention to detail and recommended procedure, or you could just double with
    card/paper of ordinary thickness.

  6. Swinger

    Swinger Member

    That's right - as for Polish models, in some of them the designers want us to use "brystol". According to my dictionary, Polish "brystol" is English "Bristol board". Anyway, as Leif said, in this meaning "brystol" is just standard cardboard, eg. 160-180 g/m^2. For example, now in my Ju 88, when the designer orders to use "brystol", I use the original card from the model (for the smaller parts, of course).
  7. Leif Oh

    Leif Oh Member

    Hi Swinger, that must have been you, originally advicing me, wasn't it? - L.
  8. Swinger

    Swinger Member

    It's possible, though I really can't remember. :lol: It could have been someone else, too - anyway, he was right. :cool:
  9. Lionheart

    Lionheart New Member

    Thanks fellas, you guys are terrific. I know I can always get questions answered here.
  10. SCEtoAux

    SCEtoAux Member

    So, the cardstock I use is 199 g/m² or 110 lb weight; 8.5 in x 11 in (216mm x 279mm). Does that put it in the Bristol Board category?

    The reason I ask is because the so called "standard" paper classifications seem to change with the day, time, location, and galaxy one is currently residing in. :roll: :wink:

Share This Page