couple more pic's of the trestle diorama

t. alexander

Jun 20, 2002
Attalla Al.
Visit site
I starting to layer on the ground foam today. I'm also experimenting with how best to light for the camera I have. I'm having trouble with the image washing out. This is the best I've gotten so far.

Attachments

• scenerytrestle1.jpg
    scenerytrestle1.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 165

t. alexander

Jun 20, 2002
Attalla Al.
Visit site
Hum.. I've already forgot what image #3 looks like:rolleye Unfortunetly I can't do anything about the sharpness but I think the colour is getting better.??

Attachments

• scenerytrestle3.jpg
    scenerytrestle3.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 163

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
Great looking scene, T! I've always wanted a trestle like that...

There was an article in a recent Model Railroader about model photography. It discussed the lighting, and I applied those techniques somewhat to my picture taking. Essentially, you have one light above the layout, one directly on the target area, and another highlighting the spots missed by the other two. By varying the distances of these lights, you can get different effects.

I've also found that the backdrop is essential in getting a good photo. It has to provide enough reflection so that the darker foreground scene stands out.

And, of course, you could always take the layout outside...but that might cause more problems with washouts...

I not a photographer. I don't even play one on TV!

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hi T, That really looks good!:) Aren't you glad you went ahead and built the other half of the trestle:D

BTW...Shamus has an article in The Academy about model photography maybe that would help with the lighting...but it looks good to me.

t. alexander

Jun 20, 2002
Attalla Al.
Visit site
Thanks for the comments guy's.
A couple of more varied foam layers as Gary suggested and I'll be ready for water.

Rory, thanks for the lighting info. Right know I'm using a combination of flourescent and one regular 100w bulb. I like the outdoor shot's but when I get the first section of the layout going I won't be able to use that method.

p.s. I promise no more shot's till it's done.;) :D

Bill Stone

Apr 20, 2001
San Dimas, California, USA
Visit site
Really beautiful, t. Don't stop with the progress shots. In my opinion it's as interesting (or more so) to see work in progress as looking at the finished stuff.

Is that a bashed MDC caboose, or from scratch?

You've got me thinking diarama. I'm going to revise my track plan to allow space for a little car ferry. Maybe I'll create a diarama of that scene when I clear some of my (too many) other projects off the bench.

Bill S

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hey t, thats really excellent scenery & photography my friend. Doesn't get much better than that. Only thing left to do is add some really tall pines to show it off.:cool:
Shamus

t. alexander

Jun 20, 2002
Attalla Al.
Visit site
Hi guy's.
Thank you so much Shamus. I've gathering up some choice weeds that I'm hoping with make nice trees.

Uteram, the abutments are cast and carved plaster of paris.

Bill, yes, the caboose is a Roundhouse oldtimer kit. With some detail added.
The car ferry scene sounds like a nice choice. When I lived in Memphis TN. I could go down to the river there and see the piles that were part of the original ferry landings on both the TN. and ARK. sides.

Marty, I'm open to suggestions for the water. It has to be water based as the scenery is styrofoam.

t.

tomfassett

Oct 15, 2002
Chandler, AZ
www.trainweb.org
I'm a "fix it in the computer" kind of guy when it comes to photographs. Here is the same low resolution jpeg after 30 seconds in Photoshop.

BTW, what an incredible model. Not only do I not have the skill to do this, but I also do not have the patience. I think there needs to be a trestle class soon an I have a couple of small ones I need to build...:D

Tom F

Attachments

• scenerytrestle1b.jpg
    scenerytrestle1b.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 62

jmarksbery

Sep 25, 2002
Butler, Kentucky USA
members.aol.com
TO MUCH FUN

T, that is one nice model and photo you have there! Congrats on all the hard work.
Tom, you are having too much fun with the photo, sooooooo, after you cleared it up a bit and after Shamus said it needed some tall trees----WELL, if i may, I thought I would add my touch to it. I hope no one minds, I just couldn't resist. (devil made me do it) So here it tis==
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Attachments

• scenerytrestle1c.jpg
    scenerytrestle1c.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 54