Country flats almost finished!

rcline

Jul 26, 2004
Byers, Tx. 76357
www.geocities.com
Slowly getting there. Still a ways to go in the flat lands.

Attachments

• MVC-700X.JPG
    MVC-700X.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 168
  • MVC-701X.JPG
    MVC-701X.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 157
  • MVC-702X.JPG
    MVC-702X.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 164
  • MVC-703X.JPG
    MVC-703X.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 163
  • MVC-706X.JPG
    MVC-706X.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 164

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Looking good Randy. The buildings and surroundings look just like the real thing. A neat looking layout but will you please post a photo with a train on the track.

neilmunck

Feb 18, 2004
Glasgow, UK
www.gmts.org.uk
I really like the way it is all finised to the same standard. It looks much more realistic - even if there is more that you are going to do.

I think a backdrop would add a huge amount to the scene. And brighter lights! :)
Neil

rcline

Jul 26, 2004
Byers, Tx. 76357
www.geocities.com
Thank you all for your kind words, I have been playing around with painting my own backdrop at the shop, but so far, it's going to stay at the shop. I'm using a Sony Digital Mavica camera with MPEG movie thing. I have tried a hundred times to get all the lights to show up good and still be able to see every thing, but it's not working. When I took the photos (above in the first post) there were 16 lights turned on and still have several more to go (including several more street lights). I also have to get the power poles set and the live electric lines ran and then start making drops to all the buildings. For the live power lines, I'm running 26 gauge motor winding wire for my over head power lines. Making the power meter boxes with the risers and weather heads is turning out to be harder to do than I thought it would be with the live power running down to the meter cans and through the cans and into the buildings. And here is a couple of photos just for "Robin". (The wooden box car on the right is my first attempt on my first car, and yes, it's still not finished!)

Attachments

• MVC-708X.JPG
    MVC-708X.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 165
  • MVC-716X.JPG
    MVC-716X.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 165

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
AHHHH! Cornfield meet!!! Gomez Addams would have been proud! :)
Nice layout Randy! That tall water tower in the first picture is a beaut...kit? scratch?
Ralph

rcline

Jul 26, 2004
Byers, Tx. 76357
www.geocities.com
Ralph, -- it's scratch! I used a little tin cup that had a candel in it. I wrapped a couple of rubber bands around it, then started inserting balsa wood strips and glued them together as I went around. I used straight pins stuck into a peice of cardboard and made a jig for the leggs and frame work. Brenda has some stiff wire that she uses for wrapping and making fake flowers. I used that wire for the criss cross cables. If you look close you can see where I still have to finish the cables at the top and I still need to finish putting in the main cross beams in a couple of places. Also, I had painted the rubber bands black, but they dry rotted and popped off leaveing the two white stripes that need to be covered with brown paint to match the rest of the tower. For the roof, I used a peice of heavy paper stock, cut and wrapped to form the cone top. Now if I can get Brenda to finish the rest of the ground coverage, I can get started on the power poles and rest of the street lights. I have been doing a lot of thinking about how to make a really good long lasting smoker for the burning building over in CityVille, (a few miles around the track) that would not cost a lot. Brenda said thats easy, just use an incense burner with one of those little brass burners with a cone shapped lid and use cone shapped incense sticks or chunks whatever you want to call it. It will smoke a long time, be confined for fire safety and smell good, (I hope!).

rcline

Jul 26, 2004
Byers, Tx. 76357
www.geocities.com
Thank you all for your kind words, I finally got Brenda to help me take some soldering photos on pretinning the tips and cleaning dirty tips and a few others, now I just have to sit down and go through the photos and put them in order with what I will be explaining. It takes me about 5 hours for every paragraph that I write. I know what I want to say, but putting it into words the way it really needs to be, has always been hard for me. You know how it is, write 10 words and delete 11 amd start over again! but I'm working on it! By the time I get finished, I will have worn out my MS Word program! (I wonder if Bill Gates could be sued for faultly programs causing major life threating train wrecks?)

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
rcline said:
I also have to get the power poles set and the live electric lines ran and then start making drops to all the buildings. For the live power lines, I'm running 26 gauge motor winding wire for my over head power lines. Making the power meter boxes with the risers and weather heads is turning out to be harder to do than I thought it would be with the live power running down to the meter cans and through the cans and into the buildings.

do you mean catenary, as in electric locomotives, or just regular old high tension lines or telephone poles?:confused: