Couldn't Leave Well Enough Alone...

Hoss

Nov 10, 2003
TEXAS
Visit site
Well...as construction on my layout progresses I occasionally have a brainstorm and run back into the computer to make some modifications to what was SUPPOSED to be my final track plan.

I'm at it again. :rolleyes:

First of all, here is what was supposed to be my final track plan before:
aaq.sized.jpg

Well, the thought suddenly occured to me that if I lowered the elevation of the hidden staging to an elevation of 0", I could easily tie the BNSF branch line and the UP interchange line into the staging yard...making it appear that they do indeed go somewhere (which some here recommended). So, the UP interchange and the BNSF branch line now disappear into tunnels and go to the staging yard.

While I was at it, I also ran the outside mainline AROUND the hidden staging, giving me the appearance of having a single main over the "summit". Note that the hidden main holds an elevation of 2" while the staging holds an elevation of 0". The now "single" main continues to climb reaching the "summit" at 3".

I also made some minor changes to the southern industry area.

Here is the new "final" track plan:
abc.sized.jpg

Now...finally....just help everyone see what I have in mind, I dashed the lines of what will be hidden track...be it hidden in a tunnel or hidden behind what will be a removable backdrop (blue line). I also sketched in some scenery to help illustrate the future tunnel areas. Here's this:

abd.sized.jpg

It should be noted that I intend for the tunnel covering the staging yard lead running around the west end to have a removable top so I can get to any trains that have problems in that long tunnel. The rest of them I should be able to access easy enough without removing any mountains.

Well....have I gone and overdone it or what??

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
AAAACCCKKK! Hoss!!! Whaddyadoin!?! Just kidding!!!!:D
I think your last minute modifications make sense, and I'll bet if you took a poll you'd find that a lot of us made changes in track plans during construction...and even later! :) Now, get back to constructing!!!:thumb:
Ralph

Tileguy

Apr 28, 2003
Northern Mn
Visit site
I Like It!!! I like it alot.Just be sure you have good access to the hidden trackage.and add a lip of hardboard,call it safety rails to the hidden trackage to keep any derails from doing the 2500 ft canyon plunge.I ran mine about an inch high.i used lightweight hardboard nailed and glued to the side of the plywood subroadbed.Looks great,now get it built!!:thumb:

YakkoWarner

Mar 10, 2001
Orange County, NC.
www.the-gauge.com
I think you have a marked improvement, with the working interchange and hidden staging. I would suggest that instead of a removeable scenery piece over your long tunnel, you make the fascia removeable or with openings to watch/access the train through that section.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Hi Hoss,

Me again. Sorry I have to reply here since I do not know how to post pictures at Trainboard...

Anyway, here are the modifications I originally suggested.

At the southern end, didn't there used to be a run around track? I thought then a siding heading north would provide some challenge... But it doesn't really have enough space now that you have eliminated the "Y"...

So to the spur slightly further north, I added a siding in the opposite direction.

Both my suggestions are in red. It would be cool if you could work in a diamond of some sort.

As always, these comments are only worth $0.02...

Andrew

Attachments

• hoss trackplan 2.jpg
    hoss trackplan 2.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 331

Arlaghan

Sep 9, 2003
S. FL
What era are you modeling again? You probably mentioned this, but if I ever saw it, I've forgotten.

Because, if you aren't doing modern day (or maybe even if you are) don't you think a timber trestle bridge would look REALLY COOL right about here? :D

If you want, you can send me the wood and I will gladly make one for you. :) Ever since I have finished mine, I've been itching to make another one, but one doesn't make sense on anything I'm currently building. If you want a sample, take a look at the last 2 photos on this thread:

http://www.the-gauge.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6696

Attachments

• here.jpg
    here.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 308

Hoss

Nov 10, 2003
TEXAS
Visit site
Russ, my point exactly. I would much rather make changes now in the planning and early construction stages than to make them later when it will cost me more time and money. ;)

Tyson, one problem that I have always had in designing a track plan was having "too much". I tried to avoid that on this one and give myself more room for scenery. I was afraid I had failed at this until I placed a decent sized N scale structure on the layout and saw how small it looked. While I prefer the appearance of the single main, I want to have double main operations. While I want to limit the industry spurs, I still want the railroad to have purpose. While I want to avoid unnecessary track, I still want to have the appearance of my tracks being tied into the rest of the world (hence the UP interchange and BNSF branch line). I guess it all comes down to compromise. I'm hoping that I can hide enough of the track with scenery to have it still look good...while at the same time have enough track to keep things interesting. Thanks for your comments.

Tileguy, thanks. Good advice on adding a lip to prevent the 2500 ft. plunge. I actually had not thought of that. Something I will need to consider and plan for.

Yakko, great idea on having a removable fascia on that end. I think that is a much better idea than going with a removable mountain top...and I will have the room on that end to do it too. I'm glad you mentioned that. Thanks!!

MasonJar, I'll take your suggestions into consideration. I like them, I'm just not sure how well they'll fit. I have found that what I can draw in Paint and what RTS will allow me to do are not always the same...not to mention what can be done in actuality. I'll see what I can do on that.

Arlaghan, while youre trestles look absolutely sensational, I'm not sure they'd fit in with my layout. I'll be modeling modern day BNSF. I do like your trestles though....and thanks for the offer. :)

Well...I gotta head off to bed now and dream about trains. Y'all take care. Hopefully this weekend I'll have some more progress photos to show.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
It looks like a lot of fun to me! This may have been covered in this thread previously, but it bears repeating, will you have access behind the layout in the hidden staging areas? If you do, that plan would have some awesome possibilities.

Hoss

Nov 10, 2003
TEXAS
Visit site
Originally posted by Russ Bellinis
It looks like a lot of fun to me! This may have been covered in this thread previously, but it bears repeating, will you have access behind the layout in the hidden staging areas? If you do, that plan would have some awesome possibilities.

Regarding access.....I will have access, but at this point I have decided that accessing the hidden staging will require the use of a footstool. Not really a problem though. But, I intend to build portions of the backdrop as removable so that when necessary I can simply lift the backdrop and gain access to the staging.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I would like more industries to switch if I were building it, but then it would start to look like spaghetti. As it is it looks great, with a lot of scenery, a nice long mainline run, and plenty of staging for the size. HAVE FUN WITH IT!!!

Hoss

Nov 10, 2003
TEXAS
Visit site
I too would like more industry...and may be making some modifications in that regard. I just don't know how yet. The mainline and staging is pretty much set though because I've already got the foam subroadbed down for it and I don't want to tear it up and start over. ;)

csxengineer

May 16, 2003
Pittsburgh, Pa
Visit site
curiosity..

I really like most of your plan. (too many tunnels). Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, so I have done a very similar track plan (using Kato unitrack). I single tracked the left side so I have 15" rad on outside track to staging, and 13" on the visible part by the industries. Also, where you put tunnels, I have raised track using WS risers to seperate the mains. My question to you is this..
Using your neat software, can you duplicate your trackplan but make a very industrial layout with big buildings and rolling mills? I always have problems trying to decide which way to make a road, and position buildings.

Thanks if you can do it.