Cost?

zedob

I never had a real layout when I was younger. I belonged to a club in the next town over, which was too far for me to walk, but my parents were more than happy to bring me to because it kept me out of trouble. I scratchbuilt a few buildings and rollingstock, but most of all I did a lot of research. Reading is cheap(er) than trying to build an empire that I knew wouldn't be at my parents house forever. I also saved up for my first brass loco, which I still have. I was more of an armchair model railroader for many years before I was even able to build my first real layout.

Point is, you don't have to build a layout to enjoy MRRing. You can accumulate alot of goodies for that dream layout in the time it takes you to finish high school and get out on your own.

Oh yeah, don't fall for the "I don't need high school" trap, unless you really don't want to get around to building a layout.

alexander

yes, i agree, join a club, that means that every month it is here, you can run trains (we meet on Monday nights and open for the public on every 2nd????? sunday)

then, get some advice and make a small layout

Jim Krause

Midnight: While reading some of the above posts, my mind wandered to some inexpensive books of cutout buildings for HO trains. I don't know if they are still available but there's another cost cutting measure. Maybe someone here on The Gauge has seen them recently. Ingenuity is the key word for your situation and model railroaders are usually endowed with a lot of it, so keep on learning and you'll get that layout going soon.

Midnight

There are no clubs in South Carolina. There's one in Rock Hill but that is too far for me to go. My dad said that as long as I pay for it and that it's okay with mom, he'll let me have a corner of the garage and get started. Tommorow, I'm going to start saving up. I have a few of my Gameboy stuff up on eBay. I just got a DS so I don't need them anymore. No one has bid yet. It might bring me $60-$100. I have two DS games for sale bring $20-$50 a piece. If they sell at the maximum, that'll bring me up to $200. Heck, they might even sell over that.
I have to go to bed soon so I'll be off in a sec.

Edit: Jim: What's a cut-out building? Just like punchout and fold it up?
Bed Time, g'night,
Midnight

EDIT2: I've been looking at the pics in Photo Gems. Man! They're 'sexy!'

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
It might be interesting to see a thread with proposals for the most inexpensive yet still fun layout that people can think to build...including an estimated price sheet.... Hmmmmmm.
Ralph

cidchase

Hi Midnight, :wave:
There are no clubs in South Carolina.
Here's a couple of places::thumb:

The Iron Horse Modelers club is the perfect place to get away from the office, relax, meet other people and talk about trains. We invite you to visit.

For more infomation, please call Bob Ray at (803) 366-7328 or Wayne Porter (803) 324-5820 or write:
I.H.M.C., 2290 Blossom St., Rock Hill, SC 29730

E-mail Scott Vance:svance@infoave.net

Club Layout is located at 137 E Main St. (Woolworth building downtown Rock Hill
--------------------------------------------------------

Associated Model Railroads of Columbia
Contact Person
John Huffman
Address
1800 Lincoln Street
Columbia, South Carolina 29201
USA

Phone (day)
803-699-2518

Phone (eve)
803-699-2518

Club/Group Email Address
jack.huffman@worldnet.att.net

Club/Group Web Site
amroc.org
Type of Club/Group:
Permanent layout in clubhouse
Modular layout

Scale(s) or gauge(s):
N
HO
O (3-rail)
We also have small S and G scale layouts.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Charleston Area Model Railroad ClubTuesdays
7 p.m. to 9 p.m.Categories
Model Railroad ClubLocation
4820 Jenkins Ave.
North Charleston, SC 29405
United StatesDescription
A multi-scale club which includes, but not limited to: O-27, O, HO and N scales.
Club has layouts and works in the community to expand interest in model trains.
Contact Information

http://www.chamrc.com/contact.htm

Thomas Van Horn, vice president
vanhorn@chamrc.com
Website
http://www.chamrc.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Strand Model Railroad ClubCategories
Myrtle Beach, SC 29577
United StatesDescription
We have a permanent HO scale layout above Ed's Hobby Shop in Myrtle Beach.
We also have N-Scale modules. jodie@sccoast.net

Hours of Operation: Mondays 5-9 p.m. & Saturdays 12-5 p.m.
Admission Fee: $24
Membership Fee: $24Contact Information
Contact Address:
James Reiner, S'cty
3023 Sabal Court
Murrells Inlet,SC 29576
Phone: (843)215-7925
Email: gswsec@hotmail.comWebsite
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Central Railway Model & Historical Association1st Thursday of each month
7:15 p.m.Categories
P.O. Box 128
Central, SC 29630
United StatesDescription
Modelers, Historians, & Railfans meet at Central-Clemson Branch, Pickens County Library
in Clemson/Central, SC. Programs, layouts from Z to 1:1, special events.

Admission Fee: N/A
Membership Fee: N/AContact Information
Rob Seel
105 Windsor Court
Central, SC 29630

(864)654-7625
rmseel@bellsouth.netWebsite
http://central-railway.tripod.com
------------------------------------------------------------
Hope you can find what you're looking for!!:D :D

cidchase

Well,
I can't get the "hammers" outa the URLs in the prev post.wall1 wall1
Maybe one of our moderators can do it???????????

Anyway, replace the hammers with the letters h a m r (no spaces).
The links work anyway.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Another good source for paper buildings/mock-ups is back issues of Model Railroader. Many have scale drawings that you can photocopy (or even cut out) and stick to cerealbox cardboard ("cerealboard" in Gaugespeak ;)). I have done this to help fill in the spaces while I am building the actual kit. You can even colour them with paints or pencil crayons.

I get back issues of MR from my local club and/or hobby shop for $0.50 each or less...

LM - the standard for grass before ground foam or grass mats was dyed sawdust. Still works today, and gives that "retro" look to your layout...! ;) :D

Andrew

Andrew

ezdays

Out AZ way
David,

Those are all great links that are worth bookmarking for anyone. Thanks for posting them all...

alexander

MasonJar said:
LM - the standard for grass before ground foam or grass mats was dyed sawdust. Still works today, and gives that "retro" look to your layout...! ;) :D
Andrew

I make my own dyed sawdust, it looks good, for relatively short grass