Corsair F4U-1D DeWaynes models

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by barry, Nov 15, 2004.

1. barry

barry Active Member

Canopy continued

I used the cardboard parts to build up the cockpit framing and it can be a bit tricky to do again I used UHU because on acetate you can move the bits around for quite a while. Do not forget to painr the insides of the frame before sticking it to the canopy it shows a lot more than you think.

2. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Good job, Barry. Since you started this subject, I've started saving suitable plastic parts, never done that before. One of these days...

Agree very much on the need to paint inside of frame. An alternative, on bigger models, is to make two sets of the frame, and mirror one of them to be used as inside framing.

You could even print the frame parts on thinner paper, since they go on to the sturdy canopy. Tried that on my old Lysander and it worked fine. Makes the canopy frame less protruding.

Thanks again for valuable tips. - Leif
  3. jrts

jrts Active Member

Hi Barry

Looks great, Iam with Leif in saving the old bits of plastic to give this ago.

Should be fun to see what happens:roll:

More soon I hope!!

4. Maurice

Maurice Member

Yes - well - I blame myself entirely for this epidemic - should have warned about the appalling health hazard involved with this process right at the start.
    Saving bits of plastic that might one day be useful for canopy moulding quickly develops into a severe compulsive affective disorder.
    Seek medical advice urgently.

Very successful canopy Barry.

5. jrts

jrts Active Member

Hi Maurice

I think most of us have that already, I have started to make a list of all the models I have :shock:
    I nearly fell over backwards when I started this not so little job, I will be building until Iam well over 200 years old :roll: :lol: :lol:

Ive tried this with poly carbon, but not had much luck with it. I think it might need a frame building to hold the plastic as it shrinks so fast.

Have to see what happens :lol:

6. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

I think all the effort was well worth it, Barry...the canopy came out great! :D

You realize, of course, you have now started an international epidemic of hoarding plastic bits and pieces, adding to the already rampant hoarding of cardboard. :lol: Don't try to hide behind that monitor, Maurice, you're as much at fault as Barry is for this. I hope you're both happy! :lol:

What a beautiful model you have there, so very well done, mate!

7. barry

barry Active Member

Well it might keep a lot more plastic out of the landfills, which can't be that bad. I look on it as my bit for recycling. You will know if you have the medical condition if you start buying the bacon that sits in the plastic trays with the FLAT bases.

My wife now puts all her used up boxes etc in a pile and asks which I want and which she can recyle immediately.