corrugated steel?

csteitz

Dec 29, 2006
Hey guys,
I was wondering if there is an way to make corugated steel in n scale or if there is any place that sells large sections of it. I need to make a 35" by 6" building with a roof.
Thanks, Robert

RC BOAT

Feb 27, 2006
Bloomington, MN
Try this:putdown several layers of newspaper on your work surface to provide a soft work surface. Place a piece of heavy duty tin foil of the size needed on the newspaper. Find a fine tooth plastic comb(experiment to find right size). While holding it at a 45 degree angle lightly drag the teeth along the tinfoil to form the corrigations. This will take some practice to get the right touch, but it does work, and it is cheap enough that you can afford to practice until perfect.
You may want to lightly sand the comb with 220 grit paper if there are any burrs on the teeth of the comb.
George

csteitz

Dec 29, 2006
Thanks a lot I'll try that. Will regular enamel or acrylic paint work on tin foil?

Play-Doh

May 12, 2006
Portland OR
Now I use this for HO, but Ive seen them in different sizes, but those cardboard insulators they put around coffee at the coffee shops have a corrugated inner layer that is perfect for steel. I help myself to them whenever I am able to.

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
I recall...

...reading an article in one of the MR rags. They used a fine threaded stud to drag across the heavy duty foil to make the corrugations.

Mark

And somebody does/did offer strips of N Gauge corrugated.

Agatheron

Nov 8, 2003
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Evergreen scale models does. The corrugations are at different widths, the smallest of which are .030 inches apart. That works out to about 4.8" scale inches apart... which is good for most corrugated metal siding. I'm planning to use it when/if I scratchbuild a Kraft Mill/Digester for a paper plant on my layout.

At least I can dream a bit.