Correct wiring of two wires together

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I'm not sure what you are talking about doing. When I wire drops to a buss wire, I strip the bus wire, strip the end of the drop wire, and then wrap the drop wire around the bus wire two or three turns, use flux, and solder it. If I'm connecting two wires together to make a longer wire, I would strip the ends of both wires, twist them together, use flux and solder the connection, and then follow with heat shrink tubing if I want the connection insulated.

gregbva123

Mar 14, 2003
VA
Visit site
I am connecting Atlas Switches code 83 and dropped the wires down through the layout and these switch wires are very thin. What do you connect these thin wires too?

What is the best way to connect these wires back to the controller? Connect the wires from switches to other wires and solder together or tape it together, or something else?

Thanks,
Greg

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Greg,

Your best bet is what Russ said. Twist the stripped wires to longer heavier wires, at least 22 gage, solder them together to get a good connection, then insulate them with anything from tape, shrink tubing, acorn nuts or one of many types of crimp connectors. The problem with some crimp connectors is that they are somewhat bulky, and acorn connectors can come loose and fall off. Just what ever you use, be sure you have a good connection (flux and solder the joint first), then be sure it is insulated from shorting out to other wires.

There was a discussion about using "liquid tape", and that seems to have worked for some that have used it.

I hope this is the information you are after. If not, let us know.

Don

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
You can get heat shrink tubing from radio shack cheap. just cut a section and slip it over one of the wires before you solder them together. Then after you solder them, let them cool, and slide the heat shrink over the joint and heat it until it shrinks around the wire.

gregbva123

Mar 14, 2003
VA
Visit site
From the Atlas code 83 switches, I am using 14 gauge telephone wire to connect from the switch wires to the control panel. Is this OK?

I soldered all three wires, let the cool, used black electrial tape on each and then wrapped all three connects together with the black tape. Is this right?

Thanks,
greg

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Greg,

You said "14 gage telephone wire" :confused: Most telephone wire is around 26 or 24 gage, and would work for what you're doing but it is usually solid and tends to be less flexable and can break if you nick it while striping the insulation off. 14 Gage is a bit heavy for switches seeing as how the wires coming from the solenoids are around 26 gage anyway. The reason for going to a larger gage is to carry the current and prevent voltage drops in the wires causing them to heat up. 22 gage is rated to safely carry one amp of current, more than enough to handle one switch going to a control panel and is easier to work with than 24 or 26 gage.

Using black electrical tape is the least effective way to insulate a connection. shrink tubing or a crimp-type connector is more reliable. Try the liquid stuff. I'm going to give it a shot the next time I need it.

Don

scoobyloven

Jan 13, 2002
zeeland michigan
Visit site
their is a way to save on your wire useing the negative wire you only need one ran from the control box to your frist switch from their you can just run all of your negative wires together as one wire and then just run you two other wires to the control box i did this on my sons layout and my father has it ran this way if you get any books on how to wire your layout it will show you this trick on my layout i used the heat shrink and where it comes apart i used a male \ female conector