Correct way to name a GE Diesel?

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
I always see people say the names of modern GE diesels differently, And i'm curious as to which way is correct.

When i look at actual sources ( books, cab sides, and some websites) I see the locomotive listed as, for example, B40-8, or C44-9W.

However, Many people here, and some books, would call the same locomotive a Dash-8 40B, or a Dash-9 44CW.

I would think that what it says on the Cab is right, but I'm curious where the other name came from.

Chris

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
When GE moved from U-boats to the next generation of diesel freight locos, for certain the nomenclature was (axle-configuration)-(horsepower)-(series), i.e. B23-7, C30-7, etc.

I guess when the 8-series came out, they saw how popular the EMD "Dash-2s" became, so it's monkey-see-monkey-do.. That's when they started calling the 8-series "Dash-8's" to differentiate them from the earlier series and to imply an improved product.

Personally I think it was kind of dumb. Calling an engine "dash-8-whatever-b-or-c" was literally bass-ackwards. :D

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
LongIslandTom said:
When GE moved from U-boats to the next generation of diesel freight locos, for certain the nomenclature was (axle-configuration)-(horsepower)-(series), i.e. B23-7, C30-7, etc.

I guess when the 8-series came out, they saw how popular the EMD "Dash-2s" became, so it's monkey-see-monkey-do.. That's when they started calling the 8-series "Dash-8's" to differentiate them from the earlier series and to imply an improved product.

Personally I think it was kind of dumb. Calling an engine "dash-8-whatever-b-or-c" was literally bass-ackwards. :D

Actually it started even earlier. They first dash series were dash7s, so it would be -723b or whatever. The next new models were called -8s, then more recently they changed their designations to 8- and now 9-. I think part of the problem might be that GEs reliability record is spotty at best, so when they have a problem with a model, they distance themselves from it when they come out with a replacement.

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
Thing is, back in the 1980s I have never seen the 7-series referred to as "Dash-7-whatevers." I couldn't turn up any articles in MR, RMC, Trains, etc. back then calling a BQ23-7 "Dash-7 23BQ," for instance.

As far as writing the designations go, it's definitely easier and faster to write "B40-8" rather than "Dash-8 40B!" (the redundancy of having to write out "DASH" is why I feel it's a bass-ackwards scheme, LOL..) :D

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
GE first released the "Dash" series in 1977, with the B23-7. The only difference between the regular B23 and the -7 was it was two feet longer and had floating bolster trucks and a step in the long hood made to make room for an angled oil cooler, which helped in oil draining from the cooler which prevented freeze-ups in colder climates.

The "Q" which LITom mentioned, was a designation given to an order of ten B23-7's from Seaboard System and meant "Quarters cab". It was the predessor of the "Comfort Cab"(or M) of todays locos, and was available for all models(BN had GP-50's with this cab).

As LITom said, writing a loco designation, is probably railroad specific. Try figuring out New Haven's designations. Yeah..It was a GP-9, but they designated a DERS(Diesel Electric Road Switcher) and their own number, which I have no idea what it is. (A rose by any other name........)