Correct paint mixture for tuck rust?

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
Hello! i'm working on weathering a bunch of my cars, starting with trucks. Whats a good color for the wheels and trucks?

the wheels have me most confused. i don't know hat kind of paint would look right on them. I know that polly scale oily black would probably work on older car trucks with the journal boxs ( full of coton wast dipped in oil, which is why the wheels turn black)

but newer roller bearing trucks have me lost. I'm not sure what pain mixture would work for them.

I'm also trying to figure out how to get some trucks on locomotives like my GG-1 to look weather right. they seem to have this dirty look on the, but i cant recreate it...

any advice?

jim currie

Jun 29, 2003
arizona
Visit site
dark rust color on the roller bearing trucks is what i see on UP main by house, but the truck color depends on where you are and what is hauled on the line.

ed acosta

Aug 4, 2005
Washington-British Columbia
Correct Color for Trucks

Not an easy task!
What I would discourage is the use of a uniform color on each pair of trucks for each and every car in your consist. You need a little variety. The rust and weathering on each and every pair of trucks on the prototypes differs a bit because each car has traveled independantly of the others. Best bet is to look at color photographs of the cars you wish to model and try to match the color of rust or paint. Once you spray the color that seems right for your trucks, use a fine airbrush to apply a little earth coloring overspray on the trucks and the underside of the car. A light coating on some and a bit more on others. Come back to the trucks with a fine brush and add oil drips and rust stains. Don't forget to remove the paint from the tread and wheel flanges of metal wheels.

BTW, the weathering should be convincing. Don't weather the trucks on a freight car if you are going to leave the carbody a bright and shiny color. The entire car should look as if it aged all together.

Have fun!
-Ed

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Not only do the cars travel independently of each other, but wheel sets are changed out as needed, not whole trucks, so you might find a car with three sets of rusted wheels and the fourth set brand new!