Corona Spy Satellite

RocketmanTan

Mar 21, 2010
New York, NY
rocketmantan.deviantart.com
For a long time, I have been OBSESSED with spy satellites, or any spy vehicle that intentionally makes itself lift more than a millimeter off the ground. Anwyho, my favorite Space Era is the Space Race Era. I guess what makes it so sexy is that this is THE era in which man has finally broken free of his terran restraints and has reached for the stars. But, of course, the REAL sexy part is the cold war; the US and the USSR always looking at each other through the corners of their eyes, and occasionally giving the finger to each other.

Well, what really interested me were the Spy Satellites of the US and the USSR from that era, for they fit both criteria. Well, I've decided to do the Corona Spy satellite, my favorite spy satellite of all time (hell, it's one of the few that the US has released pictures of!). I will attach photos and such as my design progresses.

RocketmanTan

Mar 21, 2010
New York, NY
Midsection and "tail" done!

Here are pics of the tail section, the midsection is nothing but a cylinder...
Keep in mind that these pictures are coming to you guys in real time.

And if any of you want to know what's that on my computer screen, I'm watching Scrubs while building this.

Attachments

• Picture 35.jpg
    Picture 35.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 181
  • Picture 36.jpg
    Picture 36.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 181
  • Picture 37.jpg
    Picture 37.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 181

SAustin16

Sep 24, 2006
Texas, USA
Rocket,

Very cool design. Looks like it's going together well. The designing aspect has become rather obsessive for me...I'd rather design than build much of the time.

Good luck with your Corona. Perhaps when you complete the design you might want to "market" it for free over on Jon Leslie's wonderful Lower Hudson Challenger site?

RocketmanTan

Mar 21, 2010
New York, NY
Rocket,

Very cool design. Looks like it's going together well. The designing aspect has become rather obsessive for me...I'd rather design than build much of the time.

Good luck with your Corona. Perhaps when you complete the design you might want to "market" it for free over on Jon Leslie's wonderful Lower Hudson Challenger site?

Oh yes, of course!! I already have one of my models on his site (it's the orion nuclear-powered spaceship [for some reason it's in the sci-fi section...]), and two more are on their way.

Yea, designing's fun, although I think that the reason I produce models weekly is due to my mild case of OCD, where if my week doesn't go as scheduled, I'll go nuts.

howtogurus

Feb 20, 2010
US
Hi, very nice model. I also like the space race stuff. Mostly I just wanted to give you a reply. Looks like you put a lot of work into this. It must be tricky trying to find information on satellites that the military wants kept secret.

Jan Kytop

Apr 9, 2008
I have finished this very interesting model.
Thank you very much for your work.
I have put two very shiny gold magnets as recovery modules.

p6060015.jpg

p6060016.jpg

p6060017.jpg

peter taft

Jan 15, 2010
I have finished this very interesting model.
Thank you very much for your work.
I have put two very shiny gold magnets as recovery modules.
]

Very nice, clean build Jan :thumb: :goldcup: { gotta love those GOLD magnets :cool: } and a very good design from you Rocketman :thumb: :goldcup: