Cornerstone Series(R) Walking Beam/"Horse Head" Oil Pump

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by guppyman, Feb 24, 2005.

1. guppyman

guppyman Member

I am currently building this kit, and was just wondering if anyone had pics of how they painted/weathered it, and how they placed it on their layout.

I wanted one of these the first time I saw one in operation at a train show, and I'll probably end up with quite a few more before I'm done....
  2. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

Hi GM, I don't have the kit but scratchbuilt a few. I weathered this one with a wash of burnt sienna. The ones I have seen are located in the middle of a wheat field or pasture. Along with the pumper there is usually a tank or two. Pipes leading to them are underground. I put a piece of dowel here to show where a tank would stand. I still have to rig the pump connecting it to the well.

Attached Files:

3. guppyman

guppyman Member

Robin.... I think I remember when you made those....

You truly are a gifted craftsman.
    Thanks for the pic.
  4. Dan Crowley

Dan Crowley Member

Here is a pump jack being serviced. The service rig is getting ready to pull the rod string to recover the Downhole pump. This is taken in the Hinton area of my Yellowhead Railway

Most pump jacks are painted black. Lufkin manufactures pump jacks and they come standard, painted black, with the weights and horsehead orange.

5. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

Thats a neat looking drilling rig there Dan
  6. guppyman

guppyman Member

Dan.... I like that a lot!