corn?

gerbs4me

Nov 10, 2002
www.angelfire.com
how can I make some cornstalks in the field? I plan on having 1 or 2 corn fields in my layout and, I was going to have a combine looking like its picking the corn.

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
Earlier this year there was an article in the Model Railroader magazine about using a grass mat (the rug that looks like artificial grass) as a decent looking corn field. I will look for the article and let you know.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
I've seen a couple of layouts that used plastic green floor mats (the kind you'd put in the entry way to wipe off your feet. They have quarter inch to half inch fibers) to simulate fields of stalks. One modeler airbrushed the tops a golden yellow to represent tassles. You could cut down a swath behind your combine to create the scene. Sounds cool. It'd be great to see a picture when you're done!
Ralph

DanRaitz

May 30, 2002
Maricopa, AZ, USA
To find magazine articles about corn and cornfields check out this website:

www.index.mrmag.com

I did a search on "corn" and there where 8 articles that matched and 3 that matched "cornfield".

This site will not show you the magazine article, it will tell in what mag that it was published in. Then its up to you to find that issue.

This a great site and I use it a lot. :)

Dan Raitz
Escondido, CA

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
I have a book somewhere that describes how to make indifidual corn plants. As I recall it sounded OK for a row of sweet corn in a garden but would be tedious making a whole field of any size. If you're interested let me know and I'll look up the details.

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
To cut down on the work/expense involved, don't forget that only the first few outside rows need to have much detail. The interior plants only need to have their tops modeled, since you can't see the rest of them anyhow.

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
The article(s) I referred to earlier are in the June 2002 issue of MR. On page 62 is the discussion of using the brass plants. Looks very nice but could be a bit expensive if you are doing a large field.

On page 59 of the same issue is a photo of a piece of a layout that uses the "artificial turf" technique from Art Currens article in the April 93 MR.

Take a look at both articles if you can.:)

babydot94513

Member in training
Sep 1, 2002
Brentwood, Ca
Visit site
Astro Turf for cornfields - not that you have not had that one suggested already!!!

And to make a newly planted cornfield, try taking cardboard box and peeling/separating the outer layer until you only have that corragated section in the middle. It looks just like a newly planted field of whatever you want to imagine growing.