Cork...

Xaniel

Hello guys,

Sorry about beeing away during these days.. Some prbs with my internbet connection.. cable..

well, meanwhile, i've a cork sheet underneath my track. i mean, i have a cork with 2' by 4' on a layoyrt with 2' by 4'.. know what i mean?

Have i made a mistake doing this? or is it crrect? i saw it on continental modeller magazine....

What do you guys think?

Xaniel, if I understand you correctly, you have a 2' X 4' piece of cork sheet (presumably on top of a 2' X 4' piece of plywood or other rigid material) that has your track attached to it. I don't see anything wrong with this arrangement. Several years ago, I experimented with 1' square cork tiles. They worked well; the only trouble was, it was expensive trying to cover a large area.

You don't state the thickness of your cork sheeting, but obviously the thicker the cork, the better the "noise deadening" properties will be. The cork tiles I mentioned were (if I remember correctly) 3/8" thick.

In the end, though, the right way is the one with which you are comfortable. I learned a long time ago there are only a few situations in which there is actually a "right" way to do things in this hobby. Everything else is just "another way" to accomplish something. And almost all of them work just fine.

billk

Luis - The cork should work fine for sound-deadening. The only problem I see is in modelling the roadbed for the areas that aren't in a yard. Generally, the non-yard tracks are elevated about 1/4" or so (in N scale) above the surface.