Cork tiles lifted

Why me

Mar 29, 2004
london uk
Visit site
:curse: :cry: Just wheni hv completed all track work lots of me cork tiles hv lifted up glued them down on to ply with the right glu followed the instructions to the letter now i hv tear up all me layout and start over anyone use cork tiles for noise and if so what glue you using please ty in advance .mike

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I haven't used cork tiles, but I have glued down cork roadbed. I put a coat of contact cement on the cork and on the plywood and let it dry. Then I put a second coat of contact cement on both surfaces and let it dry before pressing it together. I think sometimes using only one coat results in the glue soaking into the surfaces and not making a good bond. The first coat acts as a sealer and the second coat then glues it together.

Why me

Mar 29, 2004
london uk
Visit site
Thanks you Russ for the good info hope it works for me 20sq yard to cover in cork tiles will hv fun getting old ones up steamer i think lol will be a few choice words comming on this project best wishes.mike

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Zman said:
I've never heard of cork tiles, but I'm new to the hobby. I used Liquid Nails For Projects to glue flexible cork roadbed to an extruded styrofoam board. One application is all that's required, and it doesn't come loose short of using a chisel.
I think what Mike is refering to are cork tiles that are used on walls. Something like 1/4" thick and one foot square. it appeared as if he glued them to the whole layout for sound suppression prior to putting in the roadbed.

Mike, I'd suggest not taking them up, but rather use Liquid Nails or a mastic-type adheasive, and just reglue that which is coming up. I wouldn't take all of it off unless you don't plan on reusing it.