Cork roadbed widness

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by csxnscale, Sep 6, 2003.

1. csxnscale

csxnscale Member

Recently I received my "Midwest" cork raodbed from
    The height looks o.k., but isn't this roadbed to wide for N-scale or am I missing something ?

2. sapacif

sapacif Member

Check your prototype roadbed. There are cross-section drawings available on the web, somewhere. Also, I would say that, in general, the roadbed will take up about twice the space you allotted. If you look at any prototype, it is really very wide. In modeling, I think the extra width/shape is made with the ballast itself.
  3. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

I have used a lot of the Midwest cork road bed and once the track is on and ballasted it looks fine.
  4. MCL_RDG

MCL_RDG Member

...cork or otherwise...

I see trains running on track and roadbed burried in mud. While structural engineers have designed and calculated the liveweight to mass ratios and forces acting upon railroad roadbed I think as modelers we acccept what looks right.

You didn't receive HO roadbed did you?

5. csxnscale

csxnscale Member

Thanks for the reply's,
    Mark the cork I received is N-scale 1" 1/8 wide, 1/8" thick. But with a tie width of approx 5/8" it looks overkill to me.
    I used to build a diorama and on that one I cut the cork from sheets myself just a bit broader the the tie width and this looks more prototypical than the "Midwest" product after balasting.

6. SD90

SD90 Active Member

I cut my cork 3/4" wide, I think once it's ballasted, it will look fine.
  7. SD70BNSF

SD70BNSF Member

Cutting your own

Did you bevel the edges? is the top profile 3/4" wide or the bottom? If you did bevel the edges, how did you go about doing it?
  8. SD90

SD90 Active Member

No, I didn't bevel the edges, I'll just use a bit more ballast. I'll take a picture of it and post it. Hang on...
  9. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Here is a picture from the side...

Attached Files:

10. SD90

SD90 Active Member

and here is one from the top.

Attached Files:

11. SD70BNSF

SD70BNSF Member

I think I see

I think I see... I thought 3/4" was a bit too thin (at least looking at my own track samples and a ruler). But, by keeping the base less wide, you'll be able to profile the ballast to look the same, it'll just take a little more ballast.

I assume you figured out the cost per foot or inch is less than say Midwest's products.

12. SD90

SD90 Active Member

The cost per foot is alot less! This cork was $6 per foot, and the roll was 4' wide, so at 3/4" wide, I got 16 peices of 4' long roadbed for $6! It works out to 10 cents a strip, and that's for a 4' strip not 30". I'll spend a bit more on ballast, but it will still be much cheeper.