Corel Draw tutorial #1

Discussion in 'Software' started by Atomsk, Jun 4, 2004.

1. Atomsk

Atomsk Member

I just uploaded my first card model related tutorial. It describes how to create soft-edged camouflage pattens.

You can check it out at

Let me know what you think, especially if I've left anything out.

Coming soon, creating "tileable" bitmaps of bare metal surfaces (no more "gray = aluminum" on your models).
  2. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Excellent, Atomsk.

I did a very similar thing recently with a 'sand and spinach' scheme on an Italian fighter, although I think I contoured one off-set, seperated them, filled the contour with the background colour then blended between them. I did find the memory requirements were starting to slow the PC down when all the 'blobs' were done, but. hey, what better excuse do you need to get a new PC??!! I used about 10 intermediate steps, fewer caused clearly seen banding between the colours when I printed at high resolution. This effect depends on the colours and distance the blend runs over.

I also tried cloning blobs, but your brain is very good at spotting repeating patterns and it looked obviously copied. Mirroring had the same effect, so I ended up doing all the blobs individually.

You can do similar tricks with transparency, especially with subtle shading effects over the colour areas; material pulled tight between ribs on a fabric covered aircraft, for example, or smoke stains which fade across the paint.

I tend to use layers a lot as well, which is a great way of having common elements, outlines, basic camouflage etc on their own layers, with alternative items on other layers. This way you can have several versions within the same overall file.

Anyone else using CorelDRAW?

Tim P

PS I have used the multiple blend tool for metal finishes.
  3. rowiac

rowiac Member

Nice tutorial. I'll need to see if I can use those techniques in Illustrator, which is the vector graphics tool I've been using/learning.

I wonder if there is a way to convert your Corel color palette so I can use it in Illustrator. Anyone know? It looks like you spent a bit of time putting it together.

4. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

Hi There,

very good tutorial, im the one who use Coreldraw for paint my model. i use only coreldraw10 and many people said coreldraw11 is more powerful than 10. make a smooth edge of camouflag is the way to make vector look good like bitmap can do. Dr.Zarkov use a blend technics for his model. blend foreground color to background color, it work good in my recent model (Skoda Kauba P.14-01)

cant wait to see your next tutorail, Atomsk. thank you very much
  5. Atomsk

Atomsk Member

Thanks everybody

Yeah, I'm sure this isn't the only way to do it, but as I said, I stumbled on this technique and thought I'd share.

Been working on the bare metal tutorial, so look for it soon.

I'll also post the Spitfire MkXIV project that inspired the tutorial.

A quick Corel question - how can I tell a printer not to print so dark, when I send it a PDF generated from Corel Draw?
  6. rowiac

rowiac Member

If your PDF is printing differently than the original file in Corel Draw, you should check to make sure that color management is turned OFF in Adobe Reader or Acrobat, whichever you have.

In my Acrobat 6 Pro, the setting is in Edit / Preferences... , then select "Color Management" and select "Color Management Off" in the Color Setup Settings pull-down.

You might also want to check that color management is turned off in the printer settings or PDF output settings in Corel Draw. Sometimes, with all the different color managements in the different applications that you might use, you will get multiple color adjustments, rather than just one or none, resulting in colors different than you would expect.

7. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Ooh, just thought of something else. When I was doing the sprayed Italian como scheme, (this would apply to any 'sprayed wiggle' camo), I used the Artistic Media tool to create blobs of a standard width, with round ends. This gives you a control line (usually uncoloured, so you can't see it) and an outline. This gives a much more even patch to start your blend/contour procedure, and it is much quicker to draw single lines if camouflage than 'model' each blob individually. Just seperate the control line from the outline, and away you go.

I will try and do a quick tutorial tonight.

Tim P