Corel Draw help needed

Discussion in 'Software' started by Atomsk, Jun 15, 2004.

1. tausugAir

tausugAir Member

To the Gurus residing here, please help with the following:

In exporting Rhino surfaces as "ai files" (placed in a container) to CorelDraw does one have to do any prior preparation work? It seems my imports to CorelDraw refuse to get painted....

I would appreciate any description (sort of tutorial) on how the process is done, that is, from Rhino to CorelDraw to Painted Graphics.. I hope I am not asking too much.....

Best regards to all.....

2. Willja67

Willja67 Member

As one who has traveled this road( and is still traveling it) I can sympathize with the frustration that you have probably felt. As with everything else it will take becoming familiar with the tools and that takes lots of patience.

I don't know if this is the way you are doing it or not but I would duplicate the border of you surfaces and then delete the surfaces themselves so you are only left with the outline(leaving of course any panel lines that rhino unrolled with the part) then export that to Corel Draw.

Once you get it into Corel draw select the object you want with the pick tool then select the shape tool and you will see all the nodes on the outline of your part. Generally I've found that all the nodes are connected except at one point(usually that point is represented by a node with a thicker outline) and that will be why the fill won't work so you have to join those two nodes using the, you guessed it, join two nodes tool. Keep in mind I have Corel Draw 12 so if you have a different version it might be slightly different but I think it ought to be enough the same not to cause big problems.

Next use the fill tool and click inside your part and then go up to the dialoge bar up to and it should say "no fill" click on the drop down arrow and choose the fill option you want and voila something should now be filling your part.

In saying all of this it's assumed that you left the outline of the part you imported from rhino joined together. If not then you will have to join all the nodes around the outside edge of the object before it will fill. I find that it's a lot easier to do that stuff in Rhino than to wait and do it in Corel Draw(join all the appropriate lines).

Hope this helps
  3. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

When you export an ai file with 'export selected' selected, and then you box-select a bunch of stuff, it will all get selected! So, if you select a rectangle, a surface, a couple of reference lines, all of them will get translated as lines, with a node at each end of each of them, in the one file. Open this in Coreldraw and there will be your rectangle, but it will be composed of several duplicate lines all stacked on top of each other. Select all of them by box-selecting and combining them will still give you the same rectangle visually, but it will still be comprised of duplicate lines. Now when you use the node tool to close the nodes so you can fill it, each corner might have 5 nodes stacked up, and combining any two of them (you won't be able to tell which is which) and you will end up with a mess which won't fill, or will fill strangely.

So, you MUST be very clear about what you are selecting when you export, and you MUST be very clear about what you are combining, and you MUST be very clear about how many nodes you have selected when you try to close them, and you MUST be very clear about how many lines make up your shape.

Sorry, there is no 'easy' way here! Make sure you READ the command lines as you select object, in both Rhino and Coreldraw, and make sure you are asking the computer to do what YOU want it to do. If your selected rectangle is reported to include 12 objects, something is wrong!!!

A rectangle in corel has 4 sides and 8 nodes before it is combined, and 4 sides and 4 closed nodes after the nodes have been closed. It won't fill until all four corners are closed nodes. If your shape is made from more than 4 sides, the same holds true. If you get odd portions filled, but not the whole shape, some nodes are closed, or possibly duplicated. Explode/Break apart your shape, select each line in turn to make sure there are no duplicate lines, (Rhino has a select duplicates function) and do it again.

Hopefully the pain and anguish of not getting it to work the first time, will 'feed back' and you become more careful with selections next time!

Any problem files, don't hesitate to post them and I'd be happy to look at them for you. I know how frustrating this sort of problem can be!

Tim P
  4. tausugAir

tausugAir Member

To Wilja67 and Tim P: THANKS A LOT GUYS! Never thought I'd got all these reading and practicing in return! But it's a WELCOME STRUGGLE!!!! Better I'd start these now!!!. Signing off and THANKS, again... Best regards to both of you.....

5. Joseph

Joseph Member

Hi Muhammad,
    I have the same problem when I import the ai files from Rhino.
    To color the surfaces, I use another method: I don't play with nodes and such, it often gives frustrating results.
    I erase the duplicated lines to have a clean contour, then I redraw a new colored surface/closed curve, using the lines from Rhino as a pattern. For me it's much quicker than playing around with the imported lines...
    Best regards,