Copyright.. whats the answer..

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by Janx, Oct 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Janx

Janx Member

This issue has been bugging me for along time and finally I thought I'd better ask those who might know..

What is the the answer to the issue of copyright? not the models or meshes, which are the originators but the subjects of the models/meshes? For example many of the models I have designed and made are for my own use and not for sale but where would I stand If I posted them here?

Reason I ask is many models of subjects that originate in Anime/Film seem to get removed from the web fairly quickly, yet others do not seem to draw any attention at all. As many of my designs/Kits are of these subjects I don't want to get into or get any one else into trouble by posting them here.
  2. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

As far as the forum is concerned, if you designed the model, whatever the subject is, is irrelevant. (As long as it is moral and decent)
    You can post it and share it here.:cool:

As an example;
    Now, let's say you designed some Star Wars models and George Lucas' Lawyers contact us, asking us to remove them.
    We would then of course, have to respect that, if and when that happens. :twisted:

I hope that answers your question.:thumb:

3. Paladin

Paladin Member

So, what about this thing called "Fan Art"? I understood that a person could do anything, as long as they didn't make any profit of any kind without the creators permission. So anything "re-created" by another individual could be re-distributed as long as there is no profit.
    Regarding permission, how difficult is it to get permission even to just "re-created" something and distribute it for free?
  4. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

That is pretty much our standing as well but as far as someone like George Lucas is concerned, if he did set his eyes on you, he could easily shut you down, even if your distribution is free, simply because you could not afford the court battle and neither could we.:rolleyes:

5. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

6. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

People/companies like BBC, Nintendo, George Lucas own things like Dr Who, Zelda, Star Wars, etc. and they can stop you distributing models of things from their film, game, etc. if they want. Doesn't matter if it's for profit or not. Some allow non-profit fan art to be spread around, because it all helps promote their product, keeps the fans happy, etc. Others will stamp down on any & all fan art. One of the reasons being is that they want to maintain a certain level of quality to the brand, would rather sell a model of the character than let you build it for free, etc. I don't see many Walt Disney models around, if any ?

I guess it varies from company to company as to how difficult it is to obtain permission.
  7. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

I'm with that.

If someone from the original producer comes to you and points a pistol against your head telling you to remove a particular model, I don't think there's much choice there. Otherwise if they said nothing about it then I'm sure it's fine. e.g. if ZUN comes to me and telling me to remove my Reisen model I'd prefer complying than ending up with a court battle.
  8. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

I'm not pulling this card out on anyone in particular, I'm just pulling it out.
    It is one of our rules that we do not discuss copyright. Enough has been said already and our stance is clear.
    As far as this thread is concerned, a question was asked and it was answered. The point has been made and I am closing this thread before it goes any further.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.