cookie cutter

csxnscale

May 9, 2002
Belgium
Visit site
Hi,

I plan to use the cookie cutter method with 1/4" plywood on the benchwork.
Do i need foam on top of the cutted plywood or can I glue cork on top of the plywood without the foam?
What about noise?

Paul

C

Catt

You should have no problem with gluing the cork directly yo the plywood.

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
How much support will your benchwork provide?
Unless you provide enough support under(or above) the 1/4" plywood you may have a sagging or warping problem.
On this layout ai'm working on now the benchwork has a 1'grid supporting a 2" foam cookiecutter subroadbed. Overkill? maybe, but a good foundation will save a lot of headaches in the long run.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
I will echo Ray's comment that with 1/4" ply, you might find things a little too flexible. I used cookie cutter with 5/8 ply, plus a grid base on 16" centres.

I plan on putting cork right on the plywood.

You might want to glue a layer of 1" foam over the 1/4" ply to make it more rigid.

Andrew

csxnscale

May 9, 2002
Belgium
Visit site
First, thank you all for the answers.

The 1/4" plywood I would like to use is scrap from my job. It was used in a container to separate different loads.
I have four 3' by 6' pieces and I used one to build a flat test layout in N-scale. I made the benchwork, screwed the plywood on it and glued 1" thick extruded styrofoam on top of the plywood. Than I glued the track on top of the styrofaom. It was very sturdy and that is why I was thinking of using the cookie cutter idea with the other plywood.
I think in N-scale with support every 10" from the benchwork below it must be possible, at least I'll give it a try.
With a small layout size of 3' 8" by 7' and enough support I think I can use the thin plywood and glue the cork on top of the plywood.

Paul

garyn

Jul 24, 2003
SF Bay Area, CA
Visit site
For the 1/4" plywood, 10" spacing of the support from below should be OK. Mine is supported at 17" spacing and it DOES sag. At this point all I can do it shove another 1x2 under the plywood in between the existing 1x2 support.

Gary