Conwing L-16 "The Seaduck"

Millenniumfalsehood

Okay, seeing as how there's no proper paper kit of this cool airplane in existence anywhere on the net(or a plastic or resin version for that matter), I decided to make my own version. So here it is in it's first skin. I may decide to add other skins, including a more detailed, weathered version depicting how the "real" plane might look and a special customized version seen in one episode of Talespin. And the best part is, I can upload it myself since it's only 1.24 MB in size. :D (I'm having trouble with my email at the moment) Look for it after I'm done posting this.

It should be 1:72 scale when completed, depending on where you glue the wing roots.

Here's the layout:

PaperModelSeaduckunfolded.jpg

Millenniumfalsehood

I'll really be looking forward to the "realistic" texture.

It could be a while. :) I'm studying some aircraft cutaways to see what a plane this size would have as far as structure and panel designs. It's supposedly an American(or Usland in Talespin fandom) design with souped up engines, so I'm looking at real American planes from the late 30's to get a feel for it's design. The engines will probably be something from Pratt and Whitney, as those engines are similar to the Seaduck's engines(which have an unusual twelve cylinders in two rows. A real engine would probably have fourteen in two rows, since that would make it easier to start). I wanted to include landing gear, but I don't want to modify the CG model as it's pretty much done.

Paragon

*sigh* When I was a kid, I had a pretty accurate resin toy of the Seaduck. I lost it, of course. Boy do I miss that thing.

Anyway, good luck with the realistic version. Do us all a favor though and release an uncolored version of that, I like to custom color them sometimes.

Millenniumfalsehood

Sure thing! I would just have to adjust the texture maps in Pepakura. First though, I want to make the realistic version as it will have complete panel lines. That version is coming along just fine, btw.

Millenniumfalsehood

You have to have Pepakura to print it out. It's a freeware program that you can get from the designer's homepage.

I'm starting on the paneled version now. :)

You are looking for the Fairchild C-82 Packet and its successor, the Flying Boxcar. Also, you want to study Sikorsky flying boats up to and including the S-42 series.

Your model is essentially a hybrid of those two designs.

sokoroto

Is it possible to upload a high resolution scan of the blueprints?

Hi there.You have done some Amazing work of my youth's dream plane:)

Also i the 3d model you done of the sea duck fantastic any chance to upload it too?

mchale

beach boy
hi there i two seaduck model from the from the original scan and made a third from a lockheed lightning i found on maly modelerZ.

sokoroto

Finally i made it :)

Well finally i managed to make it !!!! :))) I used pepakura to print it out-it looks nice through i enlarged it a bit and it really needs some better texturing on it.
In any case it is an amazing model and pleaseeee pretty pleaseeee if you are
reading these replyes Millenniumfalsehood give it a try if you have any spare time to put a better texture.

sokoroto

Hi there.I think its in downloads but you need a program called pepakura designer 3 to print the plans of the plane

sokoroto

Cool build paragon

Cool built paragon.I post some photos too when i get a cam...(heheheh you too had problems with the details like the front mooring mast and lights!!) I actually designed a 2 part wing for the front wing cause it didn't hold very well.
I now work on an enlarged a3 version of it.

Now if only milleniumfalsehood would hear us and make us a version with some better textures on it it would be a dream come true...(though its undeniably difficult to choose a more realistic texture for a cartoon plane and still keep the same look.
Also a cockpit......would be amazing...