Converting Bachmann EZ Track Switches To Remote?

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
The Bachmann expansion pack we bought for my daughter's train set comes with two manual switches and I was just wondering if they could be converted to remotes. I find remote switches to be more fun than manuals. Is there a way Bachmann's HO EZ Track manual switches can be converted to electric remote switches or should I just save myself the aggrivation and buy ready made remote switches?

pgandw

Jul 9, 2005
I don't own any Bachmann EZ track so:

Looking at the pictures of the turnouts at Bachmann's site, it appears that except for the 18" radius turnout, the switch machines are mounted inside the roadbed, and the linkage is hidden. Even on the 18" radius remote turnout the linkage appears to be hidden. This would make it difficult to convert the manual turnouts to remote using Bachmann parts.

You could use an external switch machine from a different manufacturer fairly easily IF you can somehow access the linkage to move the turnout points. You would have to design/build your own linkage between the switch machine and the turnout linkage point, but this is not difficult.

Alternatively, use the manual turnouts up front where they are easily reached, and use remote turnouts in the back where access is more difficult.

my thoughts, your choices