Converting Bachmann DCC to DC?

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by chessie4155, Nov 20, 2007.

1. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

Yes...the decoder boards are in the tender. They have (mine do...) the rectangular 8-pin plug, so a short harness will do the trick. Just remove the jumper plug and plug the decoder in...It's a snap..!!
  2. wjstix

wjstix Member

You can use either a decoder with the 8-pin connector integral to the decoder, or one with a short harness between the decoder and the 8-pin.

BTW you don't have to match the decoder to the system you use, any decoder will work with any system - I use a Digitrax Zephyr, and have decoders from TCS (the easiest to set the CV's on), Digitrax, Soundtraxx, and I think there's an NCE in there somewhere, along with the QSI sound equipped engines. All work fine.
  3. chessie4155

chessie4155 Active Member

Here;s what I removed.
  4. puddlejumper

puddlejumper Member

Light boards. Explains why these units were slower when running with your other engines w/o light boards.

5. chessie4155

I thought they looked kind of funny to be DCC boards, I didn't see where you could plug anything into the board. oh well, they run a lot better now.
  6. wjstix

wjstix Member

Hmmm...the only Bachmann engine I have that came DCC equipped (a steam engine) had a lightboard with a small decoder plugged into it. I'd say what you removed are in fact decoders, a light board wouldn't have that much stuff on it. Hang on to them if you decide to change them back to DCC.
  7. chessie4155

Ah, Ok, thanks, I will keep them then.
  8. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

It looks like those are a combination light board and decoder board. I think that black integrated circuit on one side just off center length wise is probably the decoder chip.
  9. puddlejumper

puddlejumper Member

Ahh, yes, you're probably right. A directional light board would only have diodes on there, no othe chips.