Converted my new E unit today

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
Went to Alexandria today to have castings made of my feet so they can make some shoes for me. $300 a pair! Glad I'm not paying it. That's all Uncle Sam.

On the way back, I raided the LHS. Picked a new #6 turnout for the maintenance facility and also picked up a Proto 2000 E7. After I got home, I took care of a few things that needed attention, then started in on the E7. I got an old Bachmann out that has a bad motor, stripped the DCC decoder out of it and transplanted it into the E unit. All I wanted was motor control, so I left the lights hooked up to the light board. This means they'll be on all the time, but I don't care. Got the decoder wired in, put the locomotive on the track, fired up the DCC unit and put the power to it. It runs great! The slow speed performance and crawl is phenomenal. It can crawl at 2 - 3 scale mph with no problem at all. The top speed is a scale 60 mph. I'm gonna pull the decoders from my other Bachmann's as they die off and convert my E6 and E8.

metalfrog

Apr 21, 2006
northeast kansas
ain't it fun going to the hobby shop jeffery? i sure wish i had one that was close to me.sixty to eighty miles from me is a long way.going to a train show though in kc sunday morning so im sure i'll have fun.i don't have any proto's e-unit's but i have a friend who has run some of his on my layout and they are sweet! sound's like you may be disabled also.think i replied to one of your post's elsewhere. have a good day.terry......