Controller scale---

jr switch

I'm using a Tech4, MRC 220 controller, DC, and wanted to ask about the graduations and numbers around the control knob. I have to have the power turned up to between 20 and 30 before anything starts to move. Is this pretty much normal, or do I have dirty track, even tho I clean it frequently?
Also, the controller has a "brake"button on it. Doesn't seem to do anything when I push on it. What is it's purpose? Iv'e misplaced the sheet that came with the controller, so I'm asking for some advice. Thanks---John R

jeffrey-wimberl

The throttle position you describe is pretty much normal. As for the brake button, if you push it and hold it down, the train will gradually slow down.

jr switch

Thanks Jeffrey, I thought maybe the numbered scale was more of a refference point than an actual measurement of power and I'll try the brake button and see if it's working.

pooka2hot4u

i got the 260 model and use an spectrum 2-8-0. the train will start to slowly crawl when the throttle is at 10. as far as i know the brake doesnt even work unless momentum is on. no big deal for me since i always use momentum anyway, and if i dont the brake is pointless since i can stop the train quickly just by turning the throttle down.

jr switch

Michael, I didn't think it was a measure of scale miles per hour, poss amount of current or something. My EMD SW7 just starts to crawl at between 10 and 20, same with most of my steam. They all still go much faster than I would ever run them on the top end of the scale.
An interesting side note: At the railroad museum in San Diego, on the Tehachapi HO layout, they have a sensor that they set down next to the tracks that gives them a readout to keep the trains at a scale 25mph.