Control stand update and question

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
A couple of months ago I posted a picture of this model of an EMD
control stand after finishing the "drum" that holds one of my model railroad power packs. The throttle and reversing lever are operational as is the horn cord that activates a continuous loop tape of diesel horn sound. I've recently added a simulation of the independent brake valve. Pulling the handle to the right activates a can of compressed air hidden behind the instrument panel and makes a hissing sound. The bell switch to the right of the brake activates another loop tape of train bell sounds. This has been a fun project that lets me enjoy a sort of train simulator. Guests seem to like the interactive nature of the stand.

My question is about how to model the large automatic brake valve wih its cast metal seamless curves. I used sheet metal over a wood frame for the top of the throttle drum but am not sure how to create a smooth surface for the brake valve.

I'm including a picture for reference. Its from the cab of an actual F unit at the North Carolina Transportation Museum. They were kind enough to let me use the photo as a guide. The automatic brake is the large structure on the right side of the second photo.

Thanks for your ideas!
Ralph

Attachments

• controlstandnew.jpg
    controlstandnew.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 340

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hey Ralph, That's just comming right along:)

What about if you framed it up and then covered it with fiberglas cloth stretched tight, add several coats of resin, sanded it smooth and then finished it off with a gel coat. I've never actually done anything like that myself but I've seen 1/4 scale R/C airplane fuselages built like that with no seams.

Ralph - That's sure looking good! Do you get union benefits just by sitting behind the stand?:p You could also add a tape of dynamic brakes. I wish I knew where to find that sound, but if you take a trip to the Rocky Mountains, you'll be sure to hear it! Keep it up!

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Vic,
Thanks for the fiber glass idea. I have a friend who builds his own canoes out of wood strip covered with fiber glass. I could ask him for pointers on how to cover the wood frame. I was also wondering about bondo or whatever it is that people use in autobody repair.
Ralph

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hey Raph, Yeah good idea ....BONDO......A whole lot easier to sand and shape than fiberglas....but you have to work fast, the stuff sets up quick.

PS: Don't do it in the house....BONDO stinks like last week's socks!!:eek: :D

Greg Elems

Dec 19, 2002
Reno Nevada
Visit site
Ralph, nice job. Having sat behind one of those for real and operated an F unit, I would feel right at home. I think a wood frame with a coat of bondo would do the trick. I assume that the reverser changes the direction of the trains on the layout and the throttle actually controls the train speed? Neat idea! What gauge are you operating on your layout?

Greg Elems

Hi Ralph,
Even having seen this before I still have to echo Val!!
I think with a sharp rasp you could just carve this from pine, then seal and paint.
If you want to fiberglas it, carve it from balsa rather than framing it. Or carve it from styrofoam, then fiberglas. Either way, use gloves.
I know it seems that the resin would attack the foam but I remember seeing this method (glass covering a foam form) used in an old Hot Rod mag to build a fuel tank. I guess you have to seal it first.
Bondo would work over a solid form for smoothing but I don't think it has a lot of strength on its own .

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Thanks everybody! I appreciate the ideas. Greg, getting the thumbs up from some one who has actually been behind the controls of an F unit is high praise indeed! The reverser and throttle levers do control direction and speed. I've hooked them up mechanically to the controls on my MRC power pack inside the drum. I model in HO and am keeping F units alive longer than they probably served on the Penn Central. :)
Ralph